Rose of Sharon Problem

Anna, IL

A friend has 3 Rose of Sharon bushes. Every spring they are loaded with buds BUT 1 of them drops the buds and they never open into blooms. The other 2 bloom normally. Any ideas on the problem?
RED

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Is there any difference between the three in terms of location, sun/shade, moisture, soil type, etc? If not, then you might have her check for thrips, I know those are common with tropical hibiscus so I wouldn't be surprised if they liked hardy hibiscus species too. Although if all three plants are near each other I would expect they'd be on all of them not just that one, and for them to be on the same one year after year is a little strange. So I suspect it's probably something cultural, either the "bad" one has too much shade, too much/little water, too much competition from a lawn, something along those lines.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Bud drop on Hibiscus syriacus is usually caused by too much or too little water or over fertilization. It's a common problem.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

I would second the water problem. In my case to much water will cause a problem. They seem to like pretty dry conditions in SC.

Anna, IL

But why would only 1 of 3 planted side by side drop their blossoms and the other 2 not drop theirs?

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Are they within a few feet of each other? Dig a little hole in front of each of them and see if the soil has about the same amount of water in it.

Anna, IL

CoreHHI
The answers are yes and yes
RED

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Are they the same cultivar? Some are more susceptible than others.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Also if you're right on the edge of watering it too much/too little, slight variations in slope, drainage, or the overall health of the plant could make it so that one has trouble and the others don't (at least not yet)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.