Unusual hackberry tree seedling

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

I was trimming sidewalks downtown a week ago and found this variegated hackberry seedling coming up in a small patch of dirt near a parking lot.Well I just couldn't trim it off....so I dug it up and got it to reroot in a pot. Nice variegation because its pure white not yellow or gold.May plant it out in the yard and see what grows.

Kyle :-)

Thumbnail by Eclipse
Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

That's awesome. Keep us posted. I'd love to get my paws on one of those.....

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

ditto - a BIG ditto. Celtis occidentalis is a great tree. I've planted quite a few as street trees. You might really have something there.

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

By being pure white instead of cream or yellow, I think the variegation will stay. I hope!! :-)

Had cuttings of a variegated gingko last year.A branch sport.Never know aht ya might find at work! LOL

Danville, IN

If it survives, you're apt to make a small fortune from your wonderful, accidental discovery if a major nursery like Bailey's or Monrovia gets in the picture. Be sure to have it registered. It might take a few years to be able to be propagated, and I know next to nothing of the process, but I would think you'd have a major and marvelous new cultivar literally "in your hands"! Good luck. Hackberries are a great tree for the Midwest, and to think there might be a spectacular variegated native tree in the future is very exciting!

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Eclipse, did this tree survive? Would love to see an update. :)

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

I don't care for hackberries but that's special.
I have a variegated water oak that came up from an acorn off my trees. And my name is Kyle also. haha

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

hey people, this seedling died during the winter outdoors.Should have overwintered it indoors the first winter I guess.But I always keep my eyes open for more new little wonders.Thanks for asking.

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Oh, man. That hurts.

(Zone 7a)

Dang! I've been watching since this started and was hoping it would make it.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

While digging through the jungle of my garden yesterday, I came upon the very same thing. A variegated hackberry seedling. Presently, only about 8-10 inches tall. Normally I can't get rid of them fast enough as they come up like weeds all over the place. This one is sheltered by hoja santa. I don't know what to do with it. Pot it or just leave it alone?

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

I say leave it alone, it has done ok so far. But mark where it is and check it often.

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Yes, I agree. Leave it alone. See if it's still variegated next year and the year after and if it is and it's ornamental propagate it.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

I am usually in agreement when I hear it said that a hackberry is a trash tree. Well, we shall see.

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

They are trash trees in a sense because they will reseed any area available and a bunch of small hackberry trees is an ugly sight to me. However, there are some old vase-shaped trees that are quite attractive. I wouldn't want one for a lawn tree though. Unless it was something special like a variegated form. And maybe not even then.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.