Help on making flat files

Bedford, VA(Zone 7a)

I have an Excel file of 7 columns, 1442 lines that I am trying to put into Notepad which will then be used as a flat file and uploaded into a program. The problem I have is that when I cut and paste the file into notepad, the columns left justify which is no good for me because they are currency and I need them to be right justified within the columns, thus keeping only 1 space between each column.

I can't tell you how long I've been working on this, but I started it in the beginning of July and have gone through the notepad file, line by line and lined everything up again, only to discover that some things seem to have a tab entry which becomes another problem. I noticed that the files that I get errors on, when I backspace come towards the previous entries in one fell swoop, instead of my having to hit the backspace 3 or more times, depending on the spaces that are supposed to be between the columns.

Anybody have experience with making flat files that can give me some advice on how to do this without so many problems?

This thread has 12 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!