True From Saved Seed?

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

I'm sure this has been discussed repeatedly, but I couldn't find it at a glance so I'm going to ask again. Has anyone had luck with any of the hybrids coming true from collected seed? I just bought 3 plants (Green Envy, Summer Sky and Harvest Moon) off the "death rack" at Lowes. They look like... .... well, like death, LOL. I'm hoping I can get the plants to pull through for me, but I was wondering if it would be worth my time to dead-head and replant them in case they don't. My instinct tells me they would all bloom purple, but I thought I'd see what you experienced cone-folk had to say.

Thanks,
La

(Laura) Olympia, WA(Zone 8a)

BTW... does anyone have a picture of what the flowers should look like when they are ready to be harvested for seed?

Waynesboro, MS(Zone 8a)

Harvest Moon is a cross of E.purpurea [purple] and E.paradoxa [yellow]
I would imagine you would get some yellows,some muds, some purples and maybe something all togeter different

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Thanks so much for the input Hemental. I guess experimenting is 1/2 the fun, eh?

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

I planted seeds of all of them. Summer Sky and After Midnight gave the best results. With Summer Sky you get many different Salmon and Orange colors with great scent. After Midnight seedlings are always dwarf plants with very nice bloom form. Plant them and you'll always get something interesting!

gieten, Netherlands

the green envy and the harvest moon are not coming really from seeds
bij me

Waynesboro, MS(Zone 8a)

I understand that there are very few that are hybrids .
I understand that those introduced by Eugen Schleipter,Arie Bloom,Piet Oudolf and Kim Hawk were selections of E.purpurea seedlings.
Harvest Moon,Sunset and some other yellows,oranges,pinks and salmons were crosses as I stated above made by the Souls.
Other hybrids, Pixie Meadowsweet and Orange Meadowsweet was hybridized by Jim Ault by a series of crosses involving E.tennesseensis,E.purpurea and E.angustifolia
Charlie

This message was edited Nov 8, 2008 7:30 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.