Roselle hibiscus

Laie, HI

Any body had experience with this plant. I was given a gift of a pot of jam made from the seed buds years ago which was beautiful. I have just been looking up red hibiscus tea and realize that it is also made from the roselle hibiscus. ( I was actually hoping to use the hibiscus flowers in my garden...anybody done that?) Looking up plant info here on Davesgarden there is also somebody talking about the leaves being used as an asian vegetable. It does look to be a relative of the Pele or the ediable hibiscus that the Tongans and other Polynesians eat. In Hawaii I have also seen another hibiscus relative grown lately.......has dark red maple shaped leaves....called Bulatan or something like that. Can that be eaten too? Thanks for any help in this matter. Aloha

Keaau, HI

Hibiscus sabdariffa, Roselle, has flowers and leaves which can be eaten as a vegetable. The flower petals along with their bracts are used for tea, sauces , jellies, and lemonade type drinks.

Abelmoschus manihot, Pele or Ebible Hibiscus, has leaves which can be eaten raw or cooked. (I like to stuff them with flavored rice.)

Hibiscus acetosella, Red-Leaved Hibiscus, has fruiting calyxes that are filled with a tart juice which is made into drinks or jelly. The young leaves can be eaten in salad or as a cooked vegetable.

Aloha, Dave

Laie, HI

Thanks Metro for you answer full of infomation. I am going to have to hunt down some roselle. Pele leaves used as a wrap for rice....mmmm going to have to look up a Greek recipee for that. The local Tongans would really be surprised at that one. I use it right now for stir-fry and soup. Super full of Vit A. Thanks for all your help. Aloha

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.