Glorious August Days!

Cedar Springs, MI(Zone 5b)

Don't know about your neck of the woods but the weather here this month has been GLORIOUS!
Most days aren't real humid, highs around 80 then down in the cool 50's at night....just not your typical Michigan August weather. Just beautiful!
Once gain summer has sped by at break neck speed
and another long winter is on the way.
Never-the-less, I'm thankful for our 4 seasons...each one with its own treasures.

Heres a few new pics.

Thumbnail by Cottage_Rose

First year for planting big Dahlias.
I wasn't real thrilled with my patio varieties I tried
but these are awesome! Plan to try more next year.
Any reccomendations?

This message was edited Aug 26, 2008 6:05 PM

My new, old looking potting shed.
Amish made.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I love the weather too. I'm not a big fan of heat like Dori is. 80's during the day and 50's at night suits me just fine. It got into the 40's here last night. I think it was 45 when I woke up this morning. It was nice in the house though.

Your pictures are lovely. I like your shed. It kind of reminds me of my outhouse. :)

I have grown dahlias but it's been years ago and I don't recall the varieties. I don't plant them any more. I don't want to plant anything I have to dig up for winter. Too much work for this old gardener. :) I used to like to plant cannas too. Quit for the same reason.

Others will have some recommendations for you I'm sure.

Brenda

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Very nice Cottage Rose! The potting shed is great. I also am thrilled with the cooler weather. We also had 40's overnight. I have never tried the dalias do not have enough sun in the yard. They are so cute. (My moms favorites.) Oh I really don't like the looks of the flowers now. Some of mine are starting to go dormant. Im dreading the snow flying soon. I know most everyone is. At least there is still Daves to chat on. Have a great day. Ronna

Hope everybody has a nice Labor Day weekend!
YIKES! Where the heck did summer go?!?

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

It's still around....will be close to 90 next week when school starts!! We were going to close up the pool, but decided to keep it open for a couple of weeks...

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

The weather is still pretty wonderful around here also. I spent several hours in the gardens on Thursday. But I enjoyed it!!! Sweat and all. I was pretty tired when I was done. But a good tired. :) Pretty soon no outside. Have a great weekend and holiday. I have three days off! Ronna

Ronna gardening is so theraputic isn't it?
Well we've had some nice rain and I finally got
some Milky Spore down. I'm SOOO excited about
starting the process to kill off the nasty Jap Beetles.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Been freezing here and now have some allergy stuff going on!
I did can 15 qts of tomatoes today. maybe do some salsa tomorrow.
Made lots of peach jam last week.
still drizzling rain here tonight. My dh is in Atlanta Ga for the week. said it was 90 there today-ya'll know id luv to be
there enjoying the HEAT, getting time to get the seed mat out and sit on it LOL

I still have plants coming for fall planting-send me Indian summer

I took a shower and got my jammies on before the evening news was over!! I was chilled to the bone and tired. Then I had a big bowl of ice cream! Sure hate this rainy, cold weather...just not ready for it all at once. Where is that Indian Summer anyhow? Seems like we go from summer to winter overnight. Supposed to be in the low 40's on Wed morn....brrrr.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I have a feeling we're going to get an early winter. I plan to start cleaning out the garden and put it to bed for winter. I just can't be outside for hours when it's cold and damp. I'll leave up the fall blooming perennials and that's it. Everything else goes. Hubby is doing the veggie garden. We have a jungle of asparagus to cut down and raspberries to cut down and dig out. I'm moving them. They're taking over the place. :) I think the brussel sprouts are done so they'll go too. The trees are starting to lose their leaves. I'm getting foam insultion put in the walls of the house next week. Hoping to cut down on heat bills this winter.

I have a feeling it won't be long before we're turning on the furnace.

Brenda

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Sarve... I hear you! I like to be in the jammies early when its nasty outside. In the winter.... Im in them even earlier. I hardly go anywhere in the winter. Except to make the moolah! But then its in the jammies. It has been raining here almost all day. Really nasty looking sky. No sun all day. Sunday was so georgeous here we went for a long walk in the woods with the dog. /really enjoyed it so much. Im really sad to see the gardens going dormant. The flowers are losing their "sparkle". Well every year this happens sure wish it would skip us just once. LOL.

I just got back in from doing chores.
Still drizzling rain here but boy we sure need it.
Our house felt chilly tonight but the oven going for supper warmed it up.
I think we still have some warm days yet to come.
Suppose to be back to 77 by Wednesday.

Loon do you cut your raspberries down every fall?
How far do you cut them back?
I got some 2 years ago but haven't done any pruning so far.

Almont, MI

Started cleaning up the yard also til the rain came. My raspberries are an everbearing variety (late spring and again in fall). Hubby now cuts them off about 3 inches above the ground in early March to eliminate the spring crop. I didn't have time to pick in the spring and that was when I did find a worm or two. The fall crop is absolutely huge and haven't found a worm yet this year.

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Hello All..
I have been real absent this summer as i have been redoing my yard and trying to get all the co-op stuff planted!! And just as that is about to get done it is fall!!! And you all are talking about the winter!!!!
OH I really lost this summer it buzzzzzed by at break neck speed!!! How have you all been??
Dori is canning? OOOOHHHH I wish I could make some peach jam. My favorite.
How are your roses Vickie?? Did you like the knockouts?? I found to rainbow knockout "standards"
marked down to $7.00! Does anyone here know how to overwinter them in the house? Maybe you know Vickie?? Has anyone had success overwintering geraniums/mums in the house???
Help!!
How is every ones yard?? Are you all starting to close up/mulch/weed before winter already???
Well I'll stay tuned!!
Julie

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

Julie,

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/891/

Winter Storage of Geraniums (Pelargonium)

By Lee Anne Stark (threegardeners)
August 27, 2008

There ya go! ;o)

Delane

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Note: This article is about the Old Farmer's Almanac's prediction, not the Farmer's Almanac's prediction

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/...0318/-1/NEWS01

By DAVID TIRRELL-WYSOCKI
Associated Press writer
September 09, 2008 6:00 AM

DUBLIN, N.H. — The Old Farmer's Almanac is going further out on a limb than usual this year, not only forecasting a cooler winter, but looking ahead decades to suggest we are in for global cooling, not warming.

Based on the same time-honored, complex calculations it uses to predict weather, the Almanac hits the newsstands today saying a study of solar activity and corresponding records on ocean temperatures and climate point to a cooler, not warmer, climate, for perhaps the next half century.

"We at the Almanac are among those who believe that sunspot cycles and their effects on oceans correlate with climate changes," writes meteorologist and climatologist Joseph D'Aleo. "Studying these and other factor suggests that cold, not warm, climate may be our future."

It remains to be seen, said Editor-in-Chief Jud Hale, whether the human impact on global temperatures will cancel out or override any cooling trend.

"We say that if human beings were not contributing to global warming, it would become real cold in the next 50 years," Hale said.

For the near future, the Almanac predicts most of the country will be colder than normal in the coming winter, with heavy snow from the Ozarks into southern New England. Snow also is forecast for northern Texas, with a warmer than usual winter in the northern Plains.

Almanac believers will prepare for a hot summer in much of the nation's midsection, continuing drought conditions there and wild fire conditions in parts of California, with a cooler-than-normal season elsewhere. They'll also keep the car packed for the 2009 hurricane season, as the Alamanac predicts an active one, especially in Florida.

But Editor Janice Stillman said it's the winter foreasts that attract the most attention, especially this year, with much higher heating prices.

So, in line with the weather and economy forecasts, the Almanac includes information on using wood for heat: the best wood, how to build a fire in a fireplace, whether to use a wood stove and how to stay warm — all winter — with a single log.

Here's the secret, popularized in 1777: Throw a log out an upstairs window, dash down the stairs and outside, retrieve the log, dash upstairs, throw the log out the window and so on.

"Do that until you work up a sweat and you'll be warm all winter," said Stillman.

Last year, the Almanac correctly predicted "above-normal" snowfall in the Northeast — an understatement — and below-normal snowfall in the mid-Atlantic states.

New Hampshire, home of the Almanac, saw the most snow in 134 years and missed an all-time record by 2.6 inches.

Established in 1792, the Old Farmer's Almanac is North America's oldest continuously published periodical. The little yellow magazine still comes with the hole in the corner so it can hang in outhouses.

Boasting 18.5 million readers, this year's edition contains traditional tips on gardening and astronomical information and tide charts so accurate the government considered banning them during World War II, fearing they would help German spies.

The Old Farmer's Almanac is not to be confused with the Maine-based Farmer's Almanac, published "only" since 1818.

The 217th edition also predicts social trends such as sofas that measure body temperature, shopping carts that sound an alarm when filled with too much junk food and closet shelves and hangers that talk to give advice on matching shirts and ties.

"I would really hate that," Hale said. "What do you mean these don't match? Of course they match! You kidding me? Pink goes perfectly well with yellow," he joked.

Upholding its tradition of being "new, useful and entertaining," the Almanac offers tips on how to keep gardens alive, even in snow, and how to keep people alive, even for 100 years. (Some examples: Take it easy, use your brain, laugh and flirt!)

As printed publications fold around the country because of falling readership, Stillman says the Almanac is keeping pace with the 21st Century with a Web site that offers the printed version and supplements that can be personalized based on a reader's ZIP code.

Hale said the magazine with the familiar features remains popular in a digital age because, well, it's an almanac, and readers have said they like it being predictable.

"'Oh good,' they say, 'Not everything is disappearing.'"

This year, after 154 pages of words of wisdom from scientists and other experts, the 2009 edition closes with words from children — letters to God from first- and second-graders.

One, signed Joyce, shows little kids know not to be ungrateful, even when faced with a big disappointment.

"Dear God," she wrote. "Thank you for the baby brother, but what I prayed for was a puppy."

Re. the Almanacs stand on global warming....
I don't believe in global warming either.
Another myth perpetuated by the alarmists, like the Bird Flu.
Case-in-point...the last 4-5 summers have been on the cool side.
This August was so mild with perfect non-humid days and cool nights.
They can say what they want but I'm not buying it.

Heres some more info on global warming you might find of interest:
http://www.junkscience.com/news/robinson.htm
http://nzclimatescience.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=58&Itemid=1

HI JULIE!!!
I've been thinking about you!
Is everything planted yet? Hee-hee!
You aren't buying for fall delivery now are you?!?
Blush Knockout is okay but with my love for big n' fluffy
blossoms . KO roses just aren't something I can get all excited about.
My roses from the "other" co-op are doing well.
I planted them in the ground about a month ago and they are taking off now and even bloomed a little.
Looking forward to seeing how they do next year.
So far they are disease free.
Julie roses DO NOT like being in the house in the winter and I certainly wouldn't recommend it. They need to go dormant.
Rather you should do the Minnesota Tip method with them.
You should be able to find info online. If not call me.
If you plan to keep them in pots you could keep them in an unheated garage. Just make sure they get sprayed wth Wilt Pruf fall and mid winter if you get a day when its 40 or above and don't let them dry out. I've over wintered potted roses in the garage and it worked out fine for most of them.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

It got down to 40 degrees here last night. I had heard there was a frost warning out for a lot of the state of Michigan. I hope it was a fluke and we're not going into winter early. I still have a lot of cleaning up and fall chores to do.

I just LOVE my double red Knockout roses. I planted a dozen of them all along the driveway in front of my white picket fence and they bloomed continuously all summer long. They are still full of blooms. All I have done is deadhead them. They are completely disease free. I love plants that can take care of themselves. I'll try to take a picture today to share. I do need to spray them again with the Liquid Fence because the deer have been checking them out and giving a little nibble.

I put in several KO roses last fall and they did bloom beautifully until the JB found them.....then they were devoured. I just bought three more at Lowe's....3.00 a piece.!! How could I pass that up!

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

Yeah nice price on those... can't you put anything on the roses for the JB
my FIL's looked horrible from those little beasts and they just love my sand cherries...
I call them lace leaf sand cherries now. ughhhh

You folks need to get some Milky Spore down like I ~finally~ did.
See the rose forum for my thread on MS.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I think one of the reasons my roses didn't get eat up was because my husband sprays them at the same time and with the same stuff he uses on the fruit trees. It's called Fruit Tree spray and is a combo of insecticide and fungicide.

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

O my goodness duh I completely forgot about the milky spore...
I will be getting some...

BTW
The cheapest prices for MS are on Amazon.
I found that out after I paid almost twice the online price at a local retail store. Make sure to get the powder.
You only have to apply it once and its good for 10 YEARS!
See my MS thread on the rose forum for more details.

CR-hmmmm you have me thinking!! Our JB were way down from last year, but still raised havoc on my roses. We have 2 acres here, so I hate to blow money! I thought I read that the JB were cyclical and would eventually go away. I need to check into that!! Good luck!

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

sarv48 unfortunately I don't see them going anywhere other than our plants. And yes they do "cycle" twice each year...I've never heard they would go away other than putting milkyspore down and that eliminates them year after year for atleast 10 years...

cottage rose I do know milkyspore is expensive...probobly 40 a bag here now in the city it probobly went up just like food and gas...lol how much did you get yours for on e-bay?

I paid $99.99 for the big bag that has the most coverage
10,000 sq. ft. but I have 5 acres.
BUT! On Amazon, not ebay the same size is going for around
$59.00 as I recall.
Would'nt hurt to check out ebay either.
I think I would pay anything to get rid of them!
I have soooo many June - October.
They've destroyed everything! :(
For more info on MS call 1-800-801-0061
OR
www.MilkySpore.com
Heres a link to the Milky Spore thread
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/898513/

P.S.
Sarv...JB don't go away on their own accord.
I wish!

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

Thanks Cottage Rose ;o)

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Loon do you cut your raspberries down every fall?
How far do you cut them back?

I just bought these raspberries so I don't know. I just know I made a mistake planting them inside the fence of my vegetable garden. They have spread everywhere by underground runners so they have to come out and be moved. I'm thinking of planting them in a row somewhere that I can mow around both sides of them to keep the runners down. My son has his backyard property lined on one side with thickets of wild raspberries. They have thorns too! I don't want that happening here. I'll put them along the edge of the woods somewhere that I can mow around them so I can get on both sides to pick. I do recall somewhere that you should take out the older canes and leave the young canes but not real sure on that.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I looked at some of the auctions on ebay for milky spore and found this information you might like to read.

QUOTE:

Milky Spore is a safe simple spore affecting some 47 different varieties of white beetle grubs found in the United States including June Beetle or May Fly Beetle grubs.
Spreader Mix Milky Spore requires only three applications per year (spring, summer and fall) for two years. Milky Spores are remarkably resistant to adverse weather conditions and remain viable in the soil for many years. Normal spread of the spores takes place as each infected larva dies, decomposes and releases billions of new spores into the soil. Time must be allowed for this process to effectively saturate a treated area, but after the recommended total of six applications over two years the spores continue to multiply on their own, season after season, as long as larvae are present. Once the beetle larvae are completely destroyed, the spores remain dormant in the soil for years waiting to go to work again as soon as new larvae appear. Milky Spore is compatible with fungicides, fertilizers, pesticides and other lawn chemicals. The spore is not known to be affected by these materials, and, may in fact, be applied to the soil at the same time.
Adult Japanese Beetles lay eggs in open grassy areas. The eggs hatch into grubs which eat the roots of the grass during the growing season, and can cause extensive bare spots. Grubs grow into beetles which destroy foliage, fruit, and flowers. Japanese beetles feed on more than 275 different plants, shrubs and trees causing millions of dollars in damage to lawns, trees and ornamentals each year. Their rampant destruction is best prevented by attacking the larva, which is the weakest link in the life cycle of the beetle.
Milky Spore does NOT infect European rose chafers /QUOTE

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I'm wondering if regular grub control lawn chemicals would work on Japanese beetles?

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

Loon, last year my neighbor put out some of the bugs in a bag and they worked, so I bought some this year and placed them around the back yard, I had 2 around the veggie garden and 2 around the big flower garden and put 1 at various other places where we have flowers growing, I couldn't believe how fast those bags filled with the JB's . I had to change the bags twice. This last time should take me thru to frost. I bought extra bag refills because the disc that comes with the kit has lasted and is still going strong. I have no clue whats in that little disc they use but it draws them like magnets ^_^ . I plan on using them again next year. I bought mine at Menards, and there not that expensive either....

pepsi...I used the bags for two years and had to empty them at least once a day. This year I didn't use them and had far fewer JB. Don't know if that was just a coincidence or what. I have read that the bags/scent actually draw them from surrounding areas.

My neighbor (adjoining lawns) did put down the MS last year and again this year. Maybe some of his spore migrated over into our yard...fat chance!!

Darn...I thought they were a 'cycle' bug and would be gone in a few years...

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I got a nice email this morning with a link to u-tube. It is a documentary on Michigan and it's really nice. Rated 5 stars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMR7veI78f8

Re. Milky Spore.
If you use the powder you only have to apply it once and you are done for 10 years. Its more cost effective and covers a larger area.

Loon grub killer lawn products will kill JB but I assume it also kills earthworms.

The JB traps actually draw more JB to your property because of its strong pheronome (sp?) lure.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

You're saying you only have to apply it once and it lasts for ten years yet the information I copied above from the directions on milky spore say you have to apply it three times a year for two years. Which is it?

Loon, theres 2 forms of MS.
With the granules that you apply with a spreader you have to apply it repeatedly but with the powder you apply it once and it lasts for 10 - 15 years.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.