Any Ideas????

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

I have may pop passion vine everywhere,and usually by this time of the summer have hundreds of fruit hanging down from the vines,and I have 3,yes just 3!
The bee's the wasp's,thousands of them soaking the pollen from the hundreds of flowers,and only 3 fruit! What gives??
Any Idea's why only 3 fruit ,when normally every year I have 100's????

Thumbnail by Tropicman
(Kim) Philadelphi, PA(Zone 6a)

I was hoping someone would answer...I have 1 fruit lots of flowers and bee's tho....

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

You might try the Passiflora forum if nobody here knows.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Hmm,I wonder who else might be having the same problem beside me and kim???
Pollen must not be sticking to the bees,if thats the case,they will not be making honey ?

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

I would love to know too! I read somewhere you need two plants to help fruit yield....

(Kim) Philadelphi, PA(Zone 6a)

I have 2 plants.

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

This year seemed to me to be really rainy and cool. I would think the rain would have helped in growing robust plants. Do you think it could have interfered with pollen production or potency? Also since passiflorias are kind of tropical do you think that the fairly cool weather would have affected the vines setting fruit? I really don't know much about them myself but those are the things that came to mind.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Yes and I have dozens of passion vines,and just 3 fruit,in yrs past had hundreds of fruits!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Could be to some degree,but I'd think it depends on the flower,as it sets fruit to make seeds for reproduction to keep the species going and thriving!

Vieques, PR

It's Bush's fault --his abstinence program must be working.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

LOL!
Wait! didn't he say no fruit shall be left behind????

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

HAHAHAHAH!

(Judi)Portland, OR

Perhaps the esteemed governor from Alaska has a "creationist" answer...

(Judi)Portland, OR

I am thinking about getting one of these vines - are they evergreen?

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

If you don't have a freeze it will stay green,but otherwise,it will die back completely and comeback every where next spring!!!

(Judi)Portland, OR

Is there a variety that is easier and more pest resistant? I'm a new gardener - don't know if I said that correctly.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Well to keep this one from spreading,it's best to bury a plastic tub 5gallons or more in the ground,and plant it in it to keep it from spreading with underground runners,pest don't seem to bother mine here,not even the gulf fritters,that clean the vines of all there leaves in the south part of the country.

(Judi)Portland, OR

I've never heard of gulf fritters! I do have a few very large plastic pots so I think I will sink one in the ground as you suggested. Do you eat the fruit?

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Not me,but I've heard some people do,they must be ripe enough to fall to the ground before edible!

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

The fruit is de-li-cious! In Brazil, we eat the yellow kind. When ripe, cut in half, sprinkle with sugar and eat like a grapefruit!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

LOL, I was going to answer when you first posted, but then I got busy...went on vacation (visited Carol in Hilo -Alohahoya)

I put magnesium/salt on mine and that seems to do the trick.

rj

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

For me, pollination occurs best in late afternoon under humid conditions. The butterflies are gulf fritillaries. I eat fritters with corn or apples. LOL

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Since the weather went cool,seems to be a little more fruit hanging around,but saw no butterflies at all!

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

hahahhaha! I love butterflies but I wonder if my passiflora will survive so manu fritilaries! I have my son raising them but there is more and more and more of them each day! I tossed 2 yeaterday but I felt terrible afterwards.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

I normally see hundreds of Monarchs,not just one,surely that must mean somethings a coming!!!!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

You can get a good idea on the monarchs migrations at JourneySouth
http://www.learner.org/jnorth/tm/monarch/AboutFall.html

I tracked alot of the migration through my area last year...it was pretty interesting.

Hi Tm ...Rj and everyone ...last year we had a cool wet Summer and no passionfruit ....Australia is passionate about our passionfruit ...so the radio garden shows rang hot with people in the wet areas freaking out because we did not get our yummy passionfruit ...his answer was that the rain was washing the pollen out of the blooms ...
I also found this happened with my snail creeper ...hundreds of bloom and no pods ...
Sorry that is not much help but weather is the thing we can't control.
I hope the next growing season is more normal.
I have friends in the places that did not have a wet Summer and their crops were great.
happy gardening.
chrissy

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi Chrissy,
I heard the Shiraz crop took a hit too there. It is my favorite wine....

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Thanks Crissy never thought to think of that!!!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Thanks randy for the link!
Now I know why they might be running behind,with the night temps being so cool they are slow to get on the way south,makes me wonder with all the cool weather here and up north if they will make it before a first frost appears and catches them miles from Mexico.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Yeah..I think when they collect together at night it helps them keep a bit warmer.

That site also tracks other migrations like the whooping crane. They raised whooping crane chicks and are going to show them how to migrate via an ultra light craft.

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

The whooping cranes with the ultralight videos can bring tears to your eyes. They've been doing this for a few years now with good success and few losses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SjCYIi5R5s&NR=1

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Yeah, I've seen them on the Discovery channel too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.