Rapid fire I guess

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Here comes another.

Thumbnail by CoreHHI
Piedmont, SC(Zone 7b)

YYYEEEAAA!!!!!!! We have had 1 1/2 inches of rain in 2 days. We are on water restrictions. At least all my plants and grass want die. Most things were looking pretty bad. Bring on the rain.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

hmmm it looks like that one isn't gonna get us too much rain the way its going now

Piedmont, SC(Zone 7b)

Have faith!!!!

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

The next one is headed for the Gulf and problably turn North and come at us over land. Rain without many problems. Down here in Bluffton we're all filled up with rain for now but I'm sure every plant and tree is sucking up water as fast as possible.

How much water do you think a big tree can suck up in a day or when it's been real dry for a while?

Anyone have a guess?

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

a lot... Thats my guess

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

Here comes another... this one could be trouble for us along the east coast.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at3.shtml?5day#contents

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

I don't remember ever having two hurricanes coming at us at the same time. I guess these could show up around the same time in the Carolinas.

I said earlier this year that we're due for some hurricane action. Looks like we'll get it.

Thumbnail by CoreHHI
Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

More than one or two is pretty rare. There were 4 storms lined up a few years ago (2002 or 03 I think), and 4 full blown Hurricanes in 1998. There are two other disturbances in the Atlantic that are worth watching too. It's the busiest time for these storms. Mother nature at work - moving heat and energy from one part of the globe to another. Scary, but amazing at the same time.

Here's the 98 image.

Thumbnail by keonikale
Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

Here's the 2005 image of 3 at one time; though by that point - I doubt 3 was any surprise.

Hurricanes Ophelia, Nate, and Maria

Thumbnail by keonikale
Johns Island, SC

Speaking from experience Core, any storm that begins with an "H" we gotta be real wary of... And now that the 2008 "H" storm has a name, I'm even more wary...

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Funny you say that Stono. Right around H seems to be a bad area in the names for us.

BTW I meant a hurricane from the gulf and a later one coming up the coast meeting up somewhere over Fla. at the same time. Not sure if they would do each other in with wind sheer etc or combine and move along up the coast. I can't remember that happening.

Piedmont, SC(Zone 7b)

I certainley don't want to see another Katrina and I don't want to see anyone hurt but we are in a real drought. I am praying for a LOT of rain. We are in the worst drought I have ever seen in our area. Our lakes are down over 15 feet!!! We received a letter from our water company 2 weeks ago telling us to cut our water usage by 1/3. If we don't it will be mandatory and they can double or triple our water bill. We got 3 inches from the rain we had Mon,Tues and Wed. I put out buckets and a big trash can to catch water in. We can't use water for anything outside. So far I haven't lost any plants and the 3 in. helped a lot.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Smokey, I was in the Greenville area in June and the effects of the drought were very evident then; I really feel for you now. We too need rain and lots of it. We had 10" from Fay at my house and it came down slowly over several days but the soil is still so dry.

But, as far as I am concerned those hurricanes with "H" names can stay the H away from the coast. One of those per lifetime is enough.

Piedmont, SC(Zone 7b)

ardesia, sorry but I don't know what this thing is about the "H" thing. I am tired and it probably just isn't sinking in. Please explain.

Hugo !!!! September 21, 1989

After tearing up the SC coast badly, it proceeded to roar through the state to Charlotte, where it did major damage, then it went on up to VA.

As I recall the folks at Shaw Air Force Base stopped counting the tornadoes it spawned when there were more than a hundred on the radar screen at one time.

This message was edited Aug 29, 2008 8:27 PM

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Trivia: There was another nasty "H" back in the 50's, that tore up SC: Hazel, in 1954.
I was minus a year old at the time, but heard many stories from my parents about it when I was a kid.

A little more rain wouldn't be unwelcome over our way, but I'd always prefer it without the wind. :)
Deb

OMG, I forgot about her. I didn't move to SC until 1964 so we missed Hazel but I sure heard about it. Are there other H ones?

the further along the alphabet you go "A, B, C, ... H, I, J, K" the further along you are in the Hurricane season. Ivan, Katrina, Hugo, all bad ones b/c they were later in the season and stronger storms as we approach the peak.

rebecca30

This message was edited Aug 30, 2008 9:44 AM

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

Another trivia thing. Hurricane names repeat every 6 years (guess they can't think of enough of them). But they will "retire" a name after an especially bad storm. I remember a Hanna from a few years ago, I think we even had Gustav back then too. But if Gustav is as bad as they are forecasting, they'll likely retire it - just like they did Hugo and Katrina.

Edit: Yep, here's the list from 2002. Sound familiar?

# Arthur
# Bertha
# Cristobal
# Dolly
# Edouard
# Fay
# Gustav
# Hanna
# Isidore
# Josephine
# Kyle
# Lili
# Marco
# Nana
# Omar
# Paloma
# Rene
# Sally
# Teddy
# Vicky
# Wilfred

This message was edited Aug 30, 2008 10:08 AM

Piedmont, SC(Zone 7b)

I said I was tired last night. How could I not have thought of Hugo!!!! This isn't looking good!!!

It sure isn't.

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at200808_5day.html#a_topad

It looks like Gustav will hit Louisiana earlier than expected; my heart goes out to the residents there, I can't imagine their desperation at this point.

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

Well, I thought we'd dodged Hanna... but H might be the one to watch for like we said. Hanna is curving back to the north and east again.

Ditto for the folks along the gulf. That storm will probably hit as a Cat4. I just hope everything is better prepared than last time.

Thumbnail by keonikale
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Well I'm ready no matter what happens .. I've posted this picture before, but I'll post it again for the new guys. I have my greenhouse and shed tied down using mobile home augers (they are astonishingly cheap, the hard part is screwing them in) .. they work really well. I also have a huge tarp that will completely cover the greenhouse. When the storms come I wrap up the gh in the tarp and tie it down to the augers.

You can also use those corkscrew dog tie ups to tie down patio furniture and other stuff that might be flung around.

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

I sure hope tie-downs work better for you than they did for me :(. I was in a FEMA trailer in S Florida when Wilma came thru. Only Cat 1. The back half of the strom (traditionally the weakest) ripped out all the tiedowns and set the trailer down off it's pilings by about a foot. The cables held, but they corkscrews simply pulled up all their dirt. And tarps? Made little silver shreds all over the neighborhood! The edges were still intact and attached, but the tarps had been systematically reduced to confetti.
Currently I have to get back to SC from Denver tomorrow, which means traveling thru Dallas. Not good odds....:(

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

Yeck, every update makes me squirm.

Thumbnail by keonikale
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Earlier this summer we went to moss point mississippi to help rebuild. So many people are still in need and are recovering.... They are some really tough people, but are they really tough enough to take another, and probably worse one? Idk. Even though we might not understand things, we and they just need to have faith and know that God has our best interests in mind, whatever they may be.

For we know that God causes ALL things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. Romans 9:28 New American Standard translation.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Wow catmad .. since the gh is on the ground the wind can't get under it like a mobile home. I've also seen augers ripped out of the ground, but only on things that were off the ground like a mobile home. The tarp (hopefully) is to keep the wind from getting into the gh and lifting it up if some of the panels do blow out, it's a real heavy duty one.

I just hope I don't have to test it out! I'm with you keonikale, getting the shivers every time a new update comes through. If worse comes to worse, I guess my kitties n me will be visiting my brother on Lake Murry next weekend.

X

High tide is at 1:45pm on Friday. Not a good thing.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Ardesia, is where you live as bad as Charleston? When I used to work on East Bay, you couldn't flush the toilets at high tide.

X

Seabrook, SC(Zone 8b)

The computer models have been all over the place, but right now they're not looking so good for the Carolinas. But, on Friday they said Hanna was going to go southwest and hit Cuba, so we have a ways to go before there is anything close to a reliable forecast. Let's just keep our fingers crossed the whole thing just falls apart. I did hear the weather forecasters say that Gustav was inhibiting Hanna's development and that as Gustav makes landfall and weakens Hanna could develop.

Thumbnail by bordersandjacks
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

If that hits below Savannah that would be bad for me. Northeast corner of a hurricane always has the full winds. On the other hand the real strong winds are usually confined to a small area maybe 50-75 miles but it all depends.

Not liking keonikales map.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Just had a thought. Might not be bad timing. Sister in law and one of my wife’s old friends is coming to visit at the end of next week I think. Yes I don't know when exactly but I do know they're staying for 10 days. Brother in law was thinking about showing up for a weekend too. I'm overjoyed.

Only problem is sister in law, T, is from an inner city location and is a bit paranoid. Things like the sound of trees moving scare her. LOL. Last time she was here she kept thinking someone was on the attack from my back yard. BTW my back yard is on a mile long lagoon. No one is swimming across it to "get us". LOL. Then one of my neighbors paddled by in a small boat. Get the shot gun they're coming by boat. LOL. I'll just say when T is looking out the window for what's making that sound and my Schnauzers are dead a sleep, you have to wonder about T's mental state.

For those of you not familiar with Schnauzers they're known as alert, energetic and vocal. Nothing moves without them knowing where and what it is. They will be vocal when something is found.

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

Looks like they've now changed it to stay as a TS through the forecast period. But that still puts all of us in SC in that NE quadrant where all the tornadoes form. Ugh.

LOL X, no, our toilets flush fine on high tides but if a storm hits on a high tide the chances of a dangerously high storm surge are greater.

Seabrook, SC(Zone 8b)

Boo hoo, from the discussion on the 5 o'clock update:

"Little...if any...strengthening is expected during the next 48 hours
due to hostile northerly shear conditions. However...by 96 hours...
all of the models have almost identical 200 mb flow patterns
indicating the development of both poleward and equatorward outflow
regimes surrounding Hanna. This type of dual jet pattern would
favor significant intensification...and Hanna could easily be a
hurricane before it makes landfall along the southeastern U.S.
Coast."

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

the latest map has it hitting sounthern beaufort or jasper county... And hitting as a hurricane. Oh joy. Just what I wanted to hear! ... Oh well

Just remember, garden gypsum negates the effects of salt water on your plants. Apply it heavily if your garden gets inundated as mine surely will if this actually hits where it is said to make landfall.

I hope I am jumping the gun in making preperations now. Usually when I do prepare early the storm fizzles out. Let's hope my record holds.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

On behalf of the rest of us .. Thanks! Ardesia .. make your plans!

X

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

Now they've upgraded it again... good grief. This thing changes by the hour.

And we have another one to keep an eye on. Rapid fire indeed. Models were taking this one into the gulf last I heard.
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at4.shtml?5day#contents

This message was edited Sep 1, 2008 11:05 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.