strange hole in my parent's yard

Waukegan, IL(Zone 5a)

My parents have a strange hole growing in their yard. They first noticed it a couple of months ago. It was a few inches deep and perfectly round, about 6 inches across. It is located in their front yard right up against the city sidewalk. We have filled it with chunks of sod several times but the next day it is always back. It has continued to grow and is now over foot wide and at least 3 feet deep (we have given up trying to fill it). The hole is dry.

Today we had a man from the city's public works department look at it and he determined that it is not a problem with the city water line. He said it might be sewer related.

I'm wondering if anyone has had an experience like this. We live in northern Illinois on the Lake Michigan bluff.

This thread has 10 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!