Looking for specific wild plants in Minnesota

Minneapolis, MN

I need to take photos, within the next week, of wild cucumber (Echinocystis lobata), bastard toadflax (Comandra umbellata) and ground cherries (Physalis virginiana or another of the Physalis genus). I'm in the Minneapolis-St Paul area, but would drive to a location within 2 hours if I knew that these plants are there. Does anyone know where I might find them?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Teresa

Downers Grove, IL(Zone 5a)

I can't help, sorry. But you might just try to ask someone at Prairie Moon Nursery. They specialize in natives, are located in MN and someone there might have some ideas for you. Just a thought.

Good luck!

Thorne Bay, AK(Zone 6b)

Look up the habitat of each plant,then visit a few places that look likely.

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

I know this is kinda late, but have you tried asking members of the Minnesota Native Plant Society?

Another, better thought: The Minnesota Landscape Arboretum keeps a list of plants they have that would include those in the prairie and prairie display gardens, as well as the Spring peepers Meadow. If they have it listed, it can be located via a grid map of the Arboretum's grounds that would make finding it relatively easy. Call the Arboretum library. They will have the book you need and can look it up over the phone. Library hours are 8-4:30 weekdays, but of course the Arb is open until sunset.

Minneapolis, MN

Hi all--Thanks for the replies. I have been beating the woods, swamps and fields for a month or more, looking for these plants in the appropriate habitat; I've also been visiting the Arboretum on a weekly basis. Finally, on Sunday, I found both ground cherries and wild cucumber at the Arboretum... strictly by accident, I just went to the areas with the correct habitat and there they were! No luck with the bastard toadflax; it does not show up on the list of species that the Arboretum keeps, and I've been all over the place the Arboretum's prairie areas, in various SNAs (scientific and natural areas), several rouugh-and-rugged parks, and the Minnesota Valley Wildlife Refuge areas, but I simply cannot find this plant. I'll keep trying!

By the way, Prairie Moon Nursery does carry bastard toadflax, but they don't have any right now. A great suggestion, though! Thanks again--

Teresa

PS, I love the Arboretum; such a great resource, and we are soooo lucky to have it in the Mpls/St Paul metro area!

Downers Grove, IL(Zone 5a)

Care to share what you're working on? It sounds interesting!

Comandra umbellatum, never would have thought it to be parasitic. I was almost going to suggest SNAs, but most people don't have a clue about them.

So I kinda assume you already found this:
http://www.cannonvalleynursery.com/output/moreinfo/Comandra_umbellata.asp
It lists 10 SNAs where the plant can be found. Too bad they don't say exactly where.

I've been to the Helen Allison SNA. It's on pure sand with relatively thin vegetation and fairly distinct ecosystems . I would think hunting for it there would be relatively easy.
I've never been to Iron Horse, but it is such a small SNA, I would think that would be a good choice too.

I do have a book that lists exact locations for Comandra richardsonii in northern MN -- Gilbert and Duluth, if you're interested.

Knowing what related hosts it associates with would be a big help (I postulate) in a search. Good Luck!
--------------------------------------
(I only live 9 miles from the Arboretum.)

Minneapolis, MN

Hi all again--

Wow, what a helpful group!

To Leftwood: As far as the SNAs, I've spent a lot of time at Black Dog, Savage Fen and one other whose name I don't recall, and can't find that bastard toadflax. Will keep trying... I am pretty sure it is still bearing fruit. Yeah, it is parasitic, from what I've read; so is false toadflax (also called northern comandra; Geocaulon lividium I believe, but I am typing from memory!). What is the book you've got that lists plant locations in northern MN? I'd be interested in that!

To chatnoir: I'm writing and photographing a book on wild berries and fruits in MN-WI-MI. It's for Adventure Publications, the same publisher that does a series of guides.... Birds of Minnesota (green border on the cover, with a photo of a chickadee) is very well known in MN, but they have bird and flower guides for a number of states. Anyway, I've been working on this project all season, and just sent the manuscript and photos to the publisher today. I still have a few photos to take... stuff isn't quite ripe yet. But the bulk of it is off to the publisher, as of this morning!

Teresa

Teresa, how exciting!

The book is
A Flora of Northeastern Minnesota
by Olga Lakela
University of Minnesota Press 1965

I've forgotten how old it is! Out of print, of course, but locations have still been surprisingly valid. I am pretty sure the Anderson library at the Arboretum has a copy. And I remember it at one of the metro public libraries too, maybe Ridgedale(Hennepin Co) or the main Dakota Co. library. I wouldn't be surprised if Terrace Books in St. Paul would have a used copy for sale.

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

How rich do you feel? Only $190.10 posted!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0816603693/ref=dp_olp_2/103-0664130-3674215

Cheaper still from abebooks (about half the price), a bookseller in MN,

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/search/an/Lakela%2C+Olga/tn/Flora+of+Northeastern+Minnesota/cm_ven/abe/cm_cat/PLP/cm_pla/PLP/cm_ite/isbn/

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

For some reason the abebooks link isn't loading, search for isbn 9780816603695 and you should find the abebooks link.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=isbn+9780816603695&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

Wow! My older sister had gotten it as a present, college graduation I think. She "bequeathed" it to me when she and her husband moved to Oklahoma. She has since move back, just outside of Minneapolis. I am so glad she still said I could keep it. I use it quite a bit.

Makes me think of a gift that I gave to my younger sister: an unfinished (not stained) Longenberger (sp?) Crisco Cookie basket. A long story how I got it (new and free), but it's worth well over $200 now.

Thorne Bay, AK(Zone 6b)

Found the book "Flora......." for $186.11 in Amazon.

Melfa, VA(Zone 8a)

We have bastard toadflax here but it is gone for the summer

Teresa, I've just been informed of a free walking tour of Helen Allison SNA, Saturday Sept 27. You recall that the Comandra sp. resides there. Fred Rozumalski, local plant expert, U of M Instructor and Landscape Architect will give to tour. Perhaps you could find out if he knows where some is there.

The native oak savanna plant community is the best template for
permaculture food production in the Midwest. This open habitat is
highly productive and provides numerous examples of how we can set up
a permaculture food system in cold climates. Come join us on a walk
through one of the very few intact examples of an oak savanna, an
exceptionally beautiful place - Helen Allison Scientific and Natural
Area. We'll examine plant relationships, soils, hydrology and the role
of people in the system. All levels of interest and knowledge are
welcome!

If you, or anyone else is interested, D-mail me for more info.

Rick

Waverly, IA(Zone 4b)

batscanner have you tried Ion Exchange in Harpers Ferry Iowa? They are a mail order company that only sells native plants. I visited them once and was very impressed with them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.