we have a new fur babie !!!!!

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

We got a yellow lab today hes 8 weeks old I would'nt call him yellow he's more cream white with light green eyes HES SO CUTE I'll post pics soon he dosen't even have a name yet B.J.(our 9yr. old sheltie is ok with him so far) I'v never owned a Lab before any advice ??? he even liked his first bath!! now he smells good too
Gloria

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Congratulations Gloria on the new addition to the family! The only thing I know about labs is that they are a high energy breed of dog who needs lots of exercise and playing with. Not a couch potato by any means.

I hope you have many happy years together. Can't wait to see pics.

Brenda

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

well i for one need the exercise since B.J. won't walk with me any more I sort of quit now he wants to be where ever the puppie is so maybe we will all get some much needed work outs ;0)
Gloria

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

I'm going to try for a pic he doesnt have a name yet

Thumbnail by glevely
AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Awwwwwwwww..........he's a cutie!! You better give him a name soon so you can start training him. I think there is a dog naming website. I will see if I can find the link for you and post it. It might help.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

http://petrix.com/dognames/

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

he's adorable!!!

I do know that they like to chew...a friend of mine got her puppy he was chocolate
so stinkin cute anyways.....he ate her cell phone...and had to have surgery...and then he ate some rocks...and again had to have surgery...

So hopefully he won't be a "problem" chewer for you...he looks like he's gonna be alot of fun for you guy's ;o)

Delane

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

well after much debate his name is Traveler and he is so darned cute we took him over to our friends house that have 5 beagle pups that are 2 weeks younger than him and hes a tiered babie tonight it was so sweet watching them play he likes his new house (cage) to sleep in he goes in all by his self when hes sleepy (yaaa) and he goes to the door to go out (an other YAAA) he likes to walk on his lead if B.J. our sheltie goes too so all in all its all good so far keeping fingers crossed I have to work tomarrow so we will see how dad dose with him ;0)
gloria

Almont, MI

Labs are great dogs that eat everything. Mine ate a blue crayon ( the kind used on lighted signs like in a restaurant) the first time we left him alone for the evening. We came home to blue vomit all over the basement, his poor little eyes were swollen shut from straining. The vet said to call poison control and once we figured out he'd be okay, the poison control guy laughed and said he was sending me a phone number/sticker for the fridge cause we were gonna need it again. He had a 2 year old lab. We haven't had to call again, but he hasn't stopped eating. He helps himself to everything in the garden except muskmelons, he can't figure out how to break them open. He even goes to the field next door and picks his own corn right off the stalk, peels it and enjoys.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

My son's beagle ate a pop can once. Amazing! I can't comprehend a dog that does that. I've always had little fussy lap dogs who wouldn't dream of eating a chair leg or cushion. :)

Williamsburg, MI(Zone 4b)

My lab Moose is SUCH a couch popato. I got him because I wanted him to walk with me. He's good for a mile and then wants to go home. I usually end up leaving him with someone along the way and picking him up on the way home. If his butt was on fire, I'd have to put it out for him.

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

morning not been here much to busie playing with Traveler !!!! we are going to take him camping to day so we will see how that goes family reunion so he should be real tierd when I get home Sunday I think I'm in love hes doing well and gaining weight so thats a good thing hope you all have a great week end see you Sunday be safe ;0)
Gloria

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Gloria that just couldn't be a cuter face!! Traveler is a cute name for him. Hope you had fun camping. We are going in a few weeks. Ive heard that they are great companions. Just like our "Max". He is a spaniel mix. Give that adorable face a kiss for me! Ronna

Sand Lake, MI

Traveler is adorable. I have 2 lab mixes. They don't chew much except on each other. But they shed. We find a "third dog" in the house everytime we sweep.
But they are much too lovable too complain too loud.

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

well we are home and we had a great time Traveler did well and played a lot B.J. kept an eye on him he was one sleepy puppy when we got home ;0)
Bizzie so far the only thing he chews on is his toys and any stick that gets in his way we are going to work on the "come " thing this week he thinks I'm playing a game he walks well on his lead and sits when we stop we are both on a learning curve I'v not had a babie in 20 years!!!!
Gloria

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Labs are the best. I have had one for several years now.
When they are younger, they will eat the house if you do not give them something to chew, and something to keep them tired or interested.
We had big problems with ours until we took him for daily long walks. (it was good for us too) If you can let him run while you walk, all the better.

Ours is very good at home while we are at work, as long as he was able to be excersized well. That means 2 nice long walks a day. (or more on days off) Now that he is older, one walk a day is enough.

They are very smart and very loving. Yours looks like he will be a wonderful pet/friend/companion. Good luck!

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

cparts how did you teach him to come when you called him ???????????? if he would do that I'd be one happy mom I walk him every day as I always have our sheltie only I walk him a lot longer and hes great he sits but the minet you take his lead off hes GONE and he won't come to me till hes ready frustrating
Gloria

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Ummm, I got mine when he was 2 1/2 yrs old and fully trained. We joke that it took us a while to untrain him.

There are several ways to train. Some people use reward (dog cookie) or praise and pets when they do right. A long chain or leash, let them go, call them (pull on the chain) and when they come, then reward.

I had taken another dog, years ago to doggie school. (at 6 months) That was really great. You might want to ck into that. With a big dog, it is important for them to know that you are the alpha dog (boss) and that they need to pay attention to you. The class I took was at Delta college (I lived in Saginaw then) but maybe your Vet could clue you in to a class that would be in your area.

We are also lucky that we have a lot of land. When walking the dog, he usually stays in sight of us while he runs around and sniffs in the woods, leaves pee mails for the coyottes etc.
I have had a few friends bring dogs here and they always stick around us when they walk. Maybe they are afraid of getting lost? LOL

Every situation is different for where you live and your lifestyle. Puppies are a lot of work, but in no time you will have this one knowing what is expected of him. He sure is a cutie.

Oh, yes and they do shed alot a couple times a year. I find fuzz balls in my house all the time, and with those web feet they also track in the dirt. If you want your floors sparkling clean all the time, this is not a good dog to have.

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

cparts thanks for the info I'v not had a pup in 20 years we got B.J. when he was around 4-5 hes so mello I think I will check into puppy school he is a wild one but hes only12 weeks old the come thing is the big one the rest hes picking up kind of fast thats good I did the rope thing to night but he won't go potty on the rope he likes to hide to do that so its CATCH ME IF YOU CAN when hes done good thing hes so darn cute ;0)
Gloria

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Yup, they sure have cute going for them, and they know it. Sounds like you are having a great time with him.

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

wheeeeu I think I forgot how old I am !!!!!!!! ;0)
Gloria

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.