more pics

Kealakekua, HI

this is part of the road up to my house

Thumbnail by mlassi
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I wish my road was like that. Then I wouldn't have as much traffic and it would be quiet. lol

Kealakekua, HI

another pic

Thumbnail by mlassi
Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

Is that Kealakekua? I would have never guessed that in a million years looking at the photo. Lots of open space to plant :)

Keaau, HI

Luckily, it is not Kealakekua, but land mauka of that in the rain belt.

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

I saw your other photos now too. Looks like a beautiful place.

Kealakekua, HI

Thanks! This is in Kainaliu mauka. The ditch is a flood control measure. The water flows into a cave but no one knows where the water ends up.

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

LOL, I bet with the porous rock, lots of water just "disappears". How far down can you dig before hitting older lava? Apparently in parts of Puna you dig just a few feet down and it's solid pahoehoe.

Kealakekua, HI

I am lucky and have lots of dirt. I do hit rock now and then but nothing like some parts of the island.

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

Hey, I'll trade my sand for rich lava rock any day. I wish I could get a whole bunch of it in our soil.

Keaau, HI

In Puna you don't have to dig for pahoehoe; it is on the surface waiting for you!

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

I guess some folks shouldn't complain about clay then, LOL

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Keon, I purchased lava sand and Texas green sand from Lowe's this summer. Made a world of difference in my black gumbo clay. Was better than fertilizer, organic or not.

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

How much did you have to mix up? I am thinking of mixing in some clay with my sandy soil to give it substance - I loose moisture and nutrients really bad in this sandy stuff. Only back by the woods to I get any real soil, but it's pretty thin and the trees suck all the life out of the ground.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

It took a lot but we did it in stages. Pretty much a 1/3 ratio of each with a compost mix and then pretty deep , maybe six inches, on the top of the garden soil, added leaves, etc. and mixed really well. Will probably repeat it this spring/fall. The lava sand is what I think did the trick. Our native soil is so thick that if you get the mud on your bare feet you must dig it off with a stick. no sand here.

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

Yeah the mud/clay was that way just north of here in Irmo. You dig down and you get into it really bad. It's horrible out on the banks of the broad river too. My parents tried to plant corn there several years ago - didn't work so well. LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.