Walkway Dilemma

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

Hi - I need some help. This should be simple --but I am not finding it so.
Zone 7a - mostly sunny site. I need suggestions for a shrub... Or shub/flower mix. Height - perhaps two -two 1/2 feet high. Width--I have about 6 feet of length or so --To be planted on a low berm that runs along the left side of a walkway leading to a screened porch. We use this as main entryway. Behind the berm is a stream and on the other side of the stream a small corner with a japanese maple and lavender and mostly liriope. I would not like to block the view of the stream coming up the walk. My landscaper placed shasta daisy in the spot I would like to fill. The shrub gets to about 4.5 feet high and flops over onto the walk in a good rain and as you know...is not so hot looking as the flowers age out.. - so lots of maintainence. My husband is highly allergic to bee stings. (I had to give up some beautiful Blue Fortune Agastache's beyond the fountain head.) Anyway will post a few photos from different angles. Will you make suggestions? I was thinking about dwarf crepe myrtle... quince... --but not hopping up and down about that. I do want something higher than a ground cover. First photo - That green shrub that is partially obscuring the right bottom door (actually it is planted on the left) is a yew... across from it is a magnolia (I know it shouldn't be there so close to the house. Nothing else would grow in that grey wet cement and it WAS small when I planted it! (snort) Between the magnolia and the yew is the walkway in question --you can't see it in this photo. It is along this walk --next to the yew, next to the stream and in the forefront of the photo that I want to plant.
(edited to make sense)

This message was edited Aug 23, 2008 2:21 PM

Thumbnail by missingrosie
This thread has 12 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!