Growing bergenia in GA

Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

I was thinking about trying to grow some Bergania Cordifolia and was wondering if any of you GA gardeners (or others in Zone 7b) have had success with this plant? I would be growing it in full sun, including afternoon sun. I have tons of sun and have plenty of the traditional drought-tolerant plants (rudbeckia, salvia, joe-pye, daisies, aster, etc....) Bergenia is featured in a book I have on southern perennials, so thought it might be worth a shot. I'm looking for something a little different, but still hardy, if anyone has other ideas. Thanks for any input!

Thumbnail by erdooley
GA, GA(Zone 7b)

I haven't grown it but I doubt it would like full GA sun considering it likes light shade even in the north. It is often grown under trees where little else will grow so it can take the lower light levels and lack of water. Sorry I can't give you any personal experience.

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

I tried it once several years ago in dry shade and lost it. But then again, between the dry shade and the voles (and deer), I've lost LOTS of plants in that area. So I'd do some research and give it a try!

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I have grown them well (in Decatur too). Eastern exposure for six or so hours. My garden there was small and mulched heavily with pine bark. The only problem was snails because of the heavy mulch. I grew many things well in that tiny spot that I have not been able to replicate with acres of land.
L

Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

Laurel,

That's good to hear. I wish I had some nice garden areas that were partial shade, but it's either full sun or deep shade pretty much everywhere in my yard. (Well, I do have some totally undeveloped areas that are partial sun, but those are projects I'm just not up for yet...) So maybe if I plant it in full sun with some really nice amended soil and plenty of mulch, it will do well. So far I haven't had a problem with snails! Thanks.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

If too much sun is a problem, and you have space, you might consider a small understory tree. We had two small dogwoods flanking our Decatur lot lines and grew things that could use a bit more shade there. If I had it to do again, I'd consider plum trees as they have beautiful flowers and fruit easily.
L

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.