Rate and review your favorites, please!

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

With the harvest is pouring in, now is a perfect time to share your observations and opinions - and photos - in PlantFiles: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/finder/index.php?sname=Tomatoes

We have over 3,300 varieties listed, so if you need help finding a particular variety, let one of the admins know - you can post here, or use the contact us link to get quick assistance.

Why bother doing this?

What you know can help others: your independent review of a tomato's merits is far more interesting to most folks than reading the marketing "blurb" written by a vendor.

And pictures (especially of just-ripe tomatoes) are fun to look at all winter ;o)

As of right now, only about 600 of our entries have a picture, so you can make a big difference in PlantFiles for the varieties you are growing, have grown in the past, or even the varieties your neighbor is growing: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher%5Bcommon%5D=&searcher%5Bfamily%5D=&searcher%5Bgenus%5D=lycopersicon&searcher%5Bspecies%5D=&searcher%5Bcultivar%5D=&searcher%5Bhybridizer%5D=&searcher%5Bgrex%5D=&search_prefs%5Bblank_cultivar%5D=&search_prefs%5Bsort_by%5D=rating&images_prefs=with&Search=Search

Here's a shortcut to those entries that don't have a photo: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher%5Bcommon%5D=&searcher%5Bfamily%5D=&searcher%5Bgenus%5D=lycopersicon&searcher%5Bspecies%5D=&searcher%5Bcultivar%5D=&searcher%5Bhybridizer%5D=&searcher%5Bgrex%5D=&search_prefs%5Bblank_cultivar%5D=&search_prefs%5Bsort_by%5D=rating&images_prefs=without&Search=Search

Indianapolis, IN

This year I grew Mr. Stripey, Malachite Box, Jet Star, Sun Sugar, and Sweet 100's in ground.

I was happy with the quality and taste of all of the tomatoes grown, ... but was stymied in yield by Septoria disease. Next year, I will probably duplicate the varieties grown, but will take every step available to prevent/halt/manage disease.

I also grew a couple of varieties in pots, ... Patio and some pre-planted cherry. The cherry tomatoes were good, ... nut the Patio tomatoes were nothing short of tasteless. Perhaps it's just my old age showing ...

rhinelander, WI(Zone 4a)

Boxcar willie and sunsugar

This message was edited Dec 29, 2017 1:30 AM

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

Best producer this year was Husky Cherry Red, a good sized cherry that resisted disease that hit halfway through the season and leveled many other varieties.

rhinelander, WI(Zone 4a)

Sunsugar and boxcar willie taste better than others and better than store bought in taste test black seamen was ok too

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

Cherokee Purple and Sunsugar. Hands down the best 2 in my garden every year. I also grow and try others but these two are always there and always do well. I even had Sunsugars in late October/early Nov.

KENNESAW, GA(Zone 7b)

Adelaide Festival (dwarf) and Large Red Periform . The Periform got as high as the balcony above me. I sold my house after 41 years and grew all my tomato in Gardner Supply revolution grow bag lined planters. I refuse to give up gardening.

Thumbnail by hollysmac
Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

Do you mean Red Pear Piriform or is your LRP a different variety?
Johnny's Seeds describes RPP as "Pear shaped, 7-9 oz. fruits with ribbed shoulders. Old fashioned, juicy, sweet flavor. Harvest when shoulders are still green. From Liguria, Piedmonte, and Abruzzo regions of Italy. Indeterminate."

rhinelander, WI(Zone 4a)

What are your favorite tomatoes, corn ,beans?

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

My favorites include Cherokee Purple, Brandywine and for Cherry tomatoes I love the Black Cherry. Having said that, for first time I have tasted the Red Italian Pear and am pretty obsessed. what a delicious tomato!

Edited to add more of a review than just saying I like them. lol

Cherokee Purple is a large Heirloom beefsteak style tomato. High meat to seed ratio. The flavor has red wine and smoke notes. Can tend to have cracking at the top and often the top remains green but the actual tomato underneath is still soft and flavorful.
Black Cherry. a little burst of robust tomato. sweet and rich.
Brandywine is a large Pink heirloom beefsteak tomato. good ratio of meat to seeds. good flavor. one of my favs for BLTs (Other than the CP)
Italian pear is a large. ribbed somewhat pear shaped tomato. it peels super easy without having ot blanch first. awesome in bruschetta and sauces.. good to eat fresh or cooked. high meat ratio. rich robust flavor. you will obsess over this tomato!

This message was edited Aug 14, 2020 11:30 AM

Bordentown, NJ(Zone 7a)

My absolute favorite tomato variety is Brandywine Red, Landis Strain. It has a strong tomato taste and is productive. Has to be Landis Strain. I purchased a regular Red Brandywine plant from a nursery and it was not as good.

Favorite cherries: Sungold (hybrid), Tami G grape (hybrid) and Black Cherry (OP). Tried Sunrise Bumblebee (OP I think) and was impressed. Sungold's flavor is out of this world (be sure to let it get orange; don't pick it when it first turns yellow). Tami G becomes a huge plant loaded with very sweet grape tomatoes.

I always have hybrid Husky Red (not the cherry type) in a pot. Again, I like the strong tomato flavor.

I also like the orange-yellow tomatoes Brandywine Yellow Platfoot strain and Kellogg's Breakfast. In her book Carolyn Male says that Platfoot strain is more uniform in shape than other strains of Brandywine Yellow.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I've tried lots of tomatoes over the years. I use Arbason & Jetsetter as my main varieties in the hoop houses. I am a poor judge of taste, all taste the same to me. But customers love those tomatoes at the farmers market. Always sell out.
For cherry types, I use Black Cherry, Jolly, Sun Sugar, Juliet, & Clementine.
New tries this year will be the extremely new 3345 from Osborne Seeds.
Biltmore as large tomatoes & Plum Crimson for paste tomatoes in the garden. Both used by a large grower on You Tube.
Seeds & Such sent a free packet last year of a new one, Itz a Keeper, now that has very good taste. I am planting it again.
Also going to try a cherry called Naomi, recommended by a grower in Canada on You Tube.
Black Cherry is best taste of cherries.
A few tomato pics. Notice the extra table in front of the display table. It was for social distancing, because of vierus.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I usually have a bed of assorted heirloom varieties and a bed of assorted hybrids. Last year was good for all. I mostly rely on Sungold or Sun Sugar for cherry tomatoes and Jetstar &/or Celebrity for a steady dependable crop. I've enjoy growing Banana Legs, German Giant, Orange Russian, Mr. Stripey, Tigerella, Green Grape, Arkansas Traveler, Mortgage Lifter, Amish Paste, Yellow Pear just to mention the latest varieties grown. Now and then I allow a volunteer tomato plant to grow just to see what it is. Often, the volunteer ends up being the best in the tomato patch, so don't be afraid to try something new! Enjoy : )

Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain
Horn, Netherlands(Zone 8b)

Previous years I sowed about eight varieties but this year I’ve sown only four: Black Cherry, Cherokee Purple, Outdoor Girl and Gardeners Delight. We had a relative cold spring this year so I starded sowing in mid april. Seeds have just germinated. All four are excellent tomatoes: good taste and good harvest. I sow Black Cherry and Gardeners Delight every year, they are my basic tomatoes. Next to these I try some other varieties But this year I cleaned up my tomatoes seedbox and put all my leftover seeds of Cherokee Purple and Outdoor Girl in the ground. Amazing how long the seeds tomatoes stay viable. These seeds were nearly 10 years old and all have germinated in a week!

This message was edited May 7, 2021 10:28 PM

This message was edited May 8, 2021 4:12 PM

Anchorage, AK

Typically, my garden boasts a mixed bed of various heirloom varieties and an additional blend of assorted hybrids. Last season proved bountiful for all types. My mainstay for cherry tomatoes is the vibrant Sungold or the sweet Sun Sugar, while the reliable Jetstar and Celebrity provide a steady, dependable harvest. I've had the pleasure of cultivating a fascinating array of varieties, including the Banana Legs, German Giant, Orange Russian, Mr. Stripey, Tigerella, Green Grape, Arkansas Traveler, Mortgage Lifter, Amish Paste, and Yellow Pear, to name just a few. Occasionally, I give free rein to a random volunteer tomato plant, curiously watching its growth to discover its identity. Surprisingly, these spontaneous additions often turn out to be the stars of my tomato patch! So, don't hesitate to experiment and introduce something new into your garden. Happy gardening!

Thumbnail by tomatoanswers
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

All started indoors from seed on 2/14/23 in peat pots. Plum Regal tomatoes and Early Jalapeno hot peppers were new varieties in my garden this year and the stars. I grew the usual sweet banana peppers and Sungold tomatoes which never disappoint. Grandeur tomatoes produced large fruit in abundance. All of these performed well thru unfavorable weather conditions. King of the North bell peppers plants are now loaded with 4 to 5 peppers per plant having survived the long drought and upper 90s - 100+ F temps which lasted a couple of weeks. I grew extra plants of all the above for my church's community garden where they also performed well. (All grown organically.)
I've included pics of the Early Jalapeno peppers and Plum Regal tomatoes.

Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.