Native cypripedium

Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

Does anyone have our native Cypripedium parviflorum growing near them? About 8 yrs ago, I noticed one Spring what I thought was a stand of daffodils about 50-75ft. from the house. When I went to see, I saw they were the orchids. I had no idea how long they had been there and I couldn't believe after living here since 1980, I had failed to notice them. I contacted someone I knew and was warned by her to not tell of their exact location for fear that some unscrupulous person might dig them up. I've kept my word on that. I grow orchids as a hobby, the epiphytic ones. Each late Spring/early Summer they bloom and there are about a dozen indvidual plants. I do nothing to them, such as watering and feeding, as I assume that they have found their perfect environment and need not be tampered with. They are growing in dappled shade, near a little spring that trickles all year, and are growing up through our native moss. I would appreciate any response. Leeflea51

Beatrice, NE(Zone 5b)

There is a small population on a nature preserve near here that I manage. Your friend was right about not revealing their exact location. They are highly sought by collectors. Native orchids inspire some strange behavior in a few people.

Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

ksbaptisia, thank you for your response. I can't imagine someone coming on to someone else's property and doing such a thing but I suppose when money is involved, people indeed, will do such things. It would make my day, week, year,etc. to find some Spiranthes. leeflea51

I have a population of Cypripedium acaule at one location. Around 500 plants but that number is down from about ten years ago which concerns me. I have another population of Cypripedium parviflorum var parviflorum at another location on the same property and best guess would be somewhere around 1,000 plants. That population is stable. The acaule are visible from the road in spring. Hard to miss all that pink even whizzing by at 65 mph+ so I gathered seed from locally native understory shrubs and propagated it to plant in front of the acaule. I also dug up and transplanted other locally native shrubs along the easement to try to block the view. My guess is that about three years from now there will be a thicket of branches that will help obstruct the view to so much pink for that two weeks in May when they're in all their glory. They bloom early before many species leaf out fully and that's a big problem given there are so many people who think nothing of collecting from the wilds. "Private Property" and "No Trespassing" signs don't help. Some people have little respect for much of anything these days. There is a property down the road that has a few C. arietinum. They took me on a hike to show them to me after I brought them to my property. Their plants are scattered about and we counted all of about 10 this past spring. Not good. They recall a time when their woods were filled with them. Probably a loss of pollinators due to chemical use in the area. They watch that property like hawks because of problems with field collectors. I'm glad I met them because now I've got two more pairs of eyes to watch my orchids. I won't even dig up a whole plant or collect seed from my own two communities of cyps and neither will the other people. We certainly don't want anyone else out there trampling the vegetation to get "free" plants or "free" seed.

I have some Cyps here (C. acaule, kentuckiense, parviflorum var. pubescens) but they were all purchased from reputable dealers although some were a gift from a friend who had permits to legally collect the plants from a site that was going to be "improved".

Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

Equibibrium, And I thought I had a large stand! I would be agog at seeing so many. Since, the lady told me not to tell anyone of their exact location, I have become quite paranoid when I see anyone near the area, but around here, few people would know of them, at least I think and hope. Yes, it is import and vital to purchase from a reputable dealer that has CITES documentation. It would be lovely, if next Spring, you could post a picture or post one now if you have one. Thanks, Leeflea51

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.