Transplanting broccoli & cauliflower seedlings

Tonto Basin, AZ

Can they be transplanted when tiny from a seeding flat to individual pots, like tomato seedlings, or should they be seeded in pots?

Thanks,

Frank

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

I suspect that you could. They are very easy, however, so I just sow them (fall planting) in a cool moist pot or bed and transplant at about 4 inches.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Tonto Basin, AZ

Looks like the easiest way. I'll give it a go.

Frank

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

Dill, you sure do make it look easy. I have learned so much from just reading all your various posts. Thanks. Now I know how I will start my cole seedlings next season, maybe tomatoes too. I've seen bundles of bare root tomato seedings at the feed store, so they must be reasonably tough plants once established.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

It is easy. In the spring I use a cold frame. Seeding around Feb.1 for transplant in March.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

I start mine in plastic packs of 4, 6, or 20. I set them in the garden rather young and they hit the ground running.

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

I have some I'm about to plant out. Do you plant them up to their leaves, like tomatoes?

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

I would plant them a little deeper, but not quite that much.

Clarksville, MD

Would I be able to plant broccoli in the garden now? Everything I've read says that broccoli can be early and late season ... how late is late?

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Broccoli will stand frost, but not freezes. If you have plants of an early maturing cultivar like Early Dividend, Packman, Southern Comet, Everest, Galleon, Super Dome, Coronado etc. It should head by Thanksgiving. As long as your temps don't drop into the low 20's you shoudl have a short harvest. You will have to be content most years with central heads, no sideshoots.

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

My first planting is yielding nice large heads in the early varieties.....Packman, Gypsy, and Goliath. The later ones like Triathon aren't headed yet. And the second planting is growing nicely.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.