Broccoli, caulifower fall crop

Tonto Basin, AZ

You hot climate folks help me out here. I'm thinking that for a fall crop here, cauliflower and brocolli plants should be just starting to set heads about the first of November when day/night temps are 80/50, & a month to six weeks before first freeze.

Would that about the right timing for these veggies? To have the plants at that stage by 11/1, what would be about the right seeding date?

Thanks,

Frank

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

To have broccoli and cauliflower by Thanksgiving, I set plants September 1-15. Seeds are sown in late July.

Tonto Basin, AZ

Grazzi! Time for me to seed now.

Frank

Moss Point, MS(Zone 8b)

I have week old cabbage plants and should have broccoli up tomorrow. I soaked the cabbage seeds overnight and they were up in 3 days. It's hard to focus on fall garden planting dates when it's in the mid 90's.

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

I went to my local Ace/True Value yesterday, and found baby veggie plants outside the door!! I'd been told there would not be fall starts. I went inside to ask the price, and got blank looks. After a phone call, I got the price, and the story, The plants had been "on the doorstep" Saturday morning. No-one's quite sure who ordered them :).
I brought home 9-packs of broccoli (Early Dividend), brussels sprouts (Bubbles) and red cabbage (Red Cabbage).
I'm waiting to be sure we don't get hurricaned before I plant them, but any other tips? This will be my first attempt at fall crops.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.