Need their names

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

I have three vines I need to know the names of. This is the first vine which I think is the butterfly vine.

Thumbnail by ahelms
Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

This is the second vine that basically has the same shaped flower but the leaves are different. They're heart shaped.

Thumbnail by ahelms
Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

This is the third vine that is probably in the Morning Glory family.

Thumbnail by ahelms
Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

Don't know what they are but I'm going to watch this post to see. That first vine is gorgeous. I have the perfect place for a vine but haven't found quite what I need yet (non-aggressive!).

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Naturelove, these are all potted and I have no idea if they're invasive or not. The first vine is Mascagnia macroptera and I think the second one is Stigmaphyllon ciliatum from the searches I done on the internet but I still don't know what the third one is and I'm sure someone on this forum will know.

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

Oh thanks! I'm off to run some searches on them! If the Mascagnia macroptera isn't invasive, I'm going to be looking around to see where I can find one to buy. I love yellow.

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

Well, that was short-lived excitement. They only grow in zone 10 and below. I'm zone 8b :-(

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Naturelover-
I am in zone 8a in north Texas...I grow both the mascagnia macroptera(yellow) and the lilacina(lavender), and have done so for about 5 years, now.

Both are fully hardy here in the ground. They die back at 20 degrees to the ground, but return each spring from the roots.

You are half zone warmer, so they should do well for you, too. I don't know where you got zone 10 from, but that is incorrect.
-T

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

Thanks seedpicker! I really do love the yellow one. This is the second time in about a week I've read something on the net that proved to be wrong. Can't argue with personal success! Guess I'll look around to see where I can buy one after all. I have some things I plan to plant next month so maybe I'll get lucky and get one of the mascagnias to put in too.

my suggestion, if I may?...is to wait until Spring. That way you can plant it in perfect weather, and let it have all season to get going. That is what I did with mine.

If you plant now, we are going into Fall, soon. Normally that is a great time to plant really hardy perennials, since the roots can get established, but on something marginal(questionably hardy), then you risk losing a plant, that is too small and not established enough to make the winter.

just my 2 cents...:0)

But, sometimes you have to just buy a plant, when you find it. These can be easy to find at certain times of year, and scarce in others. Do you have a place to overwinter it? or do you have any cold frames?

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

I've never seen them offered around here so I'd probably have to order off the net. Reputable places won't send tender plants until spring now anyway. I was tentatively thinking about seeds but, you're right, I think I need to just wait and order this plant next spring. The other things I'm putting in are trees and some perennials which will all do well being fall planted. Thanks for your two cents seedpicker :-)

Nature-
Here is another vine(heteropterys glabra) that you might like with similar flowers, but showier seeds:
http://www.bustaniplantfarm.com/images/Plant%20Pictures/Heteropterys%20glabra.JPG

that link is butaniplantfarm, and they have it right now for $6

It is hardy to zone 7, so should be one you could order and plant right now...

It is even prettier than the mascagnia macroptera(in my opinion). Flowers are about the same size.

scio, oregon, OR(Zone 8a)

Due to the leaf shape, your one from the MG family is probably this one:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/53063/

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

Thanks again seedpicker. I will look it up and see what all it needs in the way of growing conditions.

you are welcome :0)

ahelms-
I think you might have luck posting your morning glory photo in the morning glory forum.

There are a few mg experts over there, and they should be able to help

Byndweebeth-I think you have a good suggestion, but I've grown cordototriloba, and I don't think it is that one.

-T

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks, Seedpicker. I'll post it over there.
ByndeweedBeth, the leaves don't look the same. Thanks.

scio, oregon, OR(Zone 8a)

Hmm, not sure what it is then...

Katy, TX(Zone 8b)

I'm not much into Latin & proper names of plants usually and your identity of the first 2 vines is way past me. I rather think that the first one is the one we call Butterfly Vine as the seed pods appear to be first lime green butterflies and dry to brown when they are ripe and are used extensively in arrangements and dried arrangements. If I'm way off, please tell me. Thanks!

Ann

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Plantladyhou, you're right. it does have the butterfly seed pods. Thanks.

(Karen O.)Georgetown, TX(Zone 8b)

ahelms, the first one is Mascagnia macroptera or the common name is Butterfly Vine. It will grow 15 to 20 ft., blooms from spring to fall and is hardy in Zone 8, but could survive Zone 7 if planted in a protected spot. More info at http://www.plantanswers.com/butterfly_vine.htm

I have it growing in my backyard and just love it.

Karen O.

Thumbnail by kranomo
Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks, Karen. I may try it in the ground next Spring.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.