Lets have a big welcome...."""blossom_bum""" Harbor Springs

Jerome, MI(Zone 5b)

Aw...welcome to Daves Garden..the best garden site ever...Tell us about you..and what your garden holds..hehehe..any questions..be sure to ask...You have many neighbors here in the Michigan forum..so come often...every thing from soup to nuts here...and so much in between...again welcome...blossom bum is cute...lol...

Happy day...smiles..Diana...

Thumbnail by WantabeGardener
AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Hi Blossombum. Glad you joined in here at Daves Garden. The Michigan forum is a great place to visit and chat. I hope you come often. Tell us about your garden.

Brenda

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

Welcome to our wonderful Mi. site hang out and chat a bit !!! ;0)
Gloria

Williamsburg, MI(Zone 4b)

Welocme! I'm in Traverse City!

Harbor Springs & Det, MI(Zone 5a)

Wow, what a surprise to be welcomed by so many nice people, especially since you all share my addiction. (I feel like I'm in an AA meeting for the first time) Hello, my name is Rochelle and I'm addicted to flowers of any kind. It just started over a year ago, in zone 5a, although I like to pretend it's really in the 4's, just to be safe. The closest town is Detour Village, on Lake Huron, the furthermost eastern edge of the upper peninsula. It's actually a cottage where I go every week-end from April to November. I reside in Harbor Springs (hey Traverse City!) year round. So, I'm a week-end gardner, can't wait for Friday to roll around so I can head north and get down and dirty. Oh, one point I just have to make, don't know how old you folks are, but I just turned 51 a couple weeks ago. I was always under the impression that gardening was for "old folks"... ahem.... I'm relatively active (nursing 12 hour shifts, horses, Curves, walking, etc) but those little bitty gardens have kicked my butt. After one marathon planting session I could only crawl back to the house on my hands and knees. (sort of goes with my AA theme here) My second favorite thing to do in the garden is to take pictures. I have a butterfly garden, a pond garden fed by a natural spring and beds around my front porch, which I cleverly call my porch garden. I'm particularly fond of butterflies and hummingbirds and plant accordingly. I have some fantastic shots of them that I'll upload here. I can't wait to hear what you are "into" and let me know where your towns are, as Traverse City is the only familiar place for me. (Harbor Springs is north of TC, about 30 miles from Mackinaw Bridge on Lake Michigan.)

Thumbnail by blossom_bum

Ok, so WHEN are you in TC? I'm actually in Williamsburg, but I have an acre of gardens and a porch perfect for drinking ice tea or cappacuno.

Jerome, MI(Zone 5b)

Wowow so beautiful....nice to have a picture taker amongst us.

Come here often...to chit chat...again welcome...

smiles..Diana

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

I LOVE DEOUR we used to ride our motor cycles there every summer My sister lives in Kingsly so I kind of know where you are small world keep the pics comming I live in Sanford just a little north of Midland ;0)
Gloria oh I'm 57

INteresting....I wonder what the average age of us is. I'm 54

Jerome, MI(Zone 5b)

Average..age....hehehe...you guys make me feel young..that is most important..for sure....older is good..we can always learn..from each other.....I think...smiles..and hugs...

Diana

jyl.... I have relatives in TC, but my car seems to only like to drive north instead of south, so I don't get to your neck of the woods often.... and an "acre" garden??? I can't imagine how you keep that up. What do you grow? Cherries??? You're 54, Gloria is 57, Diana is not telling but must be older. Do you think gardening grows on you as you age? Perhaps there is a time in life when beauty is more appreciated? We have more time?

Gloria, I think Detour is a biker haven, lots of them blowing by. I live right on M134, the ONLY road up there going in that direction. The beach is right across the road, which is what gives me my 5 rating, go inland a few miles and it drops to the 4's.

Here's another picture from last week-end, it's my favorite shot of the hummer hanging out with me in the butterfly garden. I just like the colors.

Is everyone else having a slow growing season, like everything is behind?

Thumbnail by blossom_bum

I'm definately a 4 here. And the whole acre isn't garden, but there isn't much lawn left. I have a huge vegetable garden, two water gardens, an herb garden and several patches of flowers. I had a cherry tree, but the deer I raised ate it this morning.

I don't know about gardening growing on you, I have always gardened where ever we had any space. (I don't need much)

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

Welcome Blossom....

You'll love it here...everyone is so friendly and kind.
And yes I'm a fellow addict....ughh it's gotten bad
I must admit...I never cease to amaze myself.
My husband just told me the other day that I
have to "lighten" up with my flowers I make to much work
for myself as 12 perennials lay in wait to be planted on my patio.
I've had a bee issue recently and they love to come after me
those little beasts...however I think I've got it under control.
I live in the city and I wish I were in the country with more land....
about 20 miles north of Detroit and 20 miles west of lake St. Clair.

Delane

Jyl, you crack me up! Love your comments on memory loss. I just wish I could remember them so I could use them myself. You are doing good work, even if your cherry tree was a recent casualty. I love the little critters in my yard, mostly because they haven't damaged anything. Chipmunks, tree frogs, regular frogs, hummingbirds, butterflies, a small brown hawk family (which is why I haven't seen a red squirrel this year), nocturnal flying squirrels (one ended up in my bedroom last year at 2:00 a.m., fell through the attic into my closet) a great heron who likes to look into our pond, and the wonderful loons that fly overhead with their beautiful calls. Do you take care of birds too, or just mammals?

I'll post some pictures of my critters. Do you have any pictures? You should, since they obviously let you get so close. I'd love to see one munching on corn!!

Delane... I can so relate about the husband's comments. My family rolls their eyes every time I swerve off the road to get a better look at a patch of color. Lately they've been threatening to do an "intervention", but they'd have to catch me first. I am alway being mistaken for an employee of whatever garden center I'm in, so maybe there's something there that I can't see. One time when I was dragging my cart full of composted manure out of a Home Depot, a gentleman asked me which landscaping firm I was working for. I was just glad none of my family was with me to hear that comment.

take care of anything that gets dumped on my doorstep. Well, no coyotes, but then no one has had the guts to dump and run yet. Last night someone knocked on my door and by the time I got there I saw then squeeling out of my driveway. On the porch was a box full of red squirrel babies. guess they had been here before or knew what red squirrels are!

Caro, MI(Zone 5a)

Welcome Blossom! Those are awesome shots. You've inspired me to have another go at it with the new camera. : ) This is a great forum with wonderful supportive people. I'm so happy that I stumbled in here. I've put in 7 flower beds this year and discovered that after a marathon planting session, it is much easier to ride the lawn tractor up to the door instead of crawling back.

So kick off your garden clogs and make yourself at home.
Oh, I am in the thumb area and am 49.

Mary Ellen

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

Blossom,

I can relate with the "employee of the garden center"...thats so funny you mention that!
I "forgot" we were spilling our ages mine would be 43...my mind says 29, and my feet say "oh please help me" nothing 40 lbs wouldn't fix...I forgot to mention that your hummingbird shot is absolutely amazing!! beautiful. I love the birds as well...I have many colorful finches here I have hummingbird feeders and NO hummingbirds...although my friend has them and they love her red salvia...bet ya can't guess what I'm planting next year??? ;o)

Thumbnail by detheo

Ok, how did you do thoes pots? I was just given a whole bunch of terra cotta pots and was trying to decide what to do with them.

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

I want to know too that is way coooollll ;0)
Gloria

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Love the pot picture!

Oh, I just turned 58 last month.

Brenda

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

1 piece of rerod-6ft
1 clay pot size 12
4 clay pots size 10
good potting mix
lots of pretty flowers

Pound your rerod into the ground 2 feet.
Thread your largest pot over the rerod and fill with potting soil.
Thread your remaining pots over the rerod and and tip them
so they are resting on the rim of the previous pot.
Fill all remaining pots with potting soil
and plant all your pretty flowers.

They need to be watered often (everyday) as the clay tends
to dry out quickly if it's really hot out.

Ta Da now you have your tipsy planter ;o)

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

thank you Now I have a new project for this spring ;0)
Gloria

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.