The Princess Bride - Discussion Time

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

The Princess Bride by William Goldman
Discussion Thread
Caution...Plot details and spoilers ahead...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi, all! Sorry I didn't get to this earlier, but it's been a busy day all around. So, what did you think of the book? It was my second time reading it and I picked up on a lot more this time through. I've seen the movie at least a dozen times now and I love how closely it follows the book in most areas.

As a matter of fact, I didn't even know about the book until I'd seen the movie twice or three times, so I've never read it soley on its own merit as a novel. Still, I think it stands on its own as a quirky story, poking fun at fairy tales and the publishing business with equal zest.

But I still can't help but hear Cary Elwes' "As you wish" and Billy Crystal and Carol Kane's flawless Miracle Max and Valerie. Oh, and of course, Andre the Giant's booming voice echoing off the palace walls, "I am the Dread Pirate Roberts..." There are worse voices one could have in one's head. ;o)

I've been trying to find some good discussion questions, but am at a loss. Guess I'll make a few observations about things I liked/disliked about the book. Ya'll join in and give your two cents' worth - and if you have questions for us to tackle, post 'em! :o)

I liked how Goldman wrapped the whole fairy tale thing in another story, giving his asides as he "abridges" the original fairy tale. He really makes you second guess whether there might indeed really be a Florinese edition of the book gathering dust in some old bookseller's dim store corner.

I like how Goldman lays the groundwork about the book, telling about how his father read aloud to him from the original Florinese edition, painstakingly translating it into his broken English, as then 10-year-old Goldman recovered from pneumonia. It was important to show how that experience - one really good story, told right - sparked a life-long love of adventure stories. I know this is all fiction, but it's still true!

I like how Goldman goes to great lengths to hunt down a copy of the book for his own son for the boy's tenth birthday. That's about as much positive I can say about his interaction with his own son, though. I really hate the disdain with which he treats his son for his obesity. He goes overboard in his comments on his boy's mannerisms (i.e. waddling), appearance and appetite.

I chuckled a lot at how he chronicles Buttercup's rise through the ranks of beauty through the years. I loved the fact that she was so clueless about her great beauty. She's a little lacking in the imagination department (c'mon, her horse is named...Horse), and lovingly ditsy.

Reading the sections about Inigo and Fezzik is a true treat. I love how he lets us see Fezzik's childhood, seeing how he really is a gentle giant at heart. Fezzik's relationship with Inigo is well-written in this book, too. It's fun seeing how Fezzik started his rhyming game. It's always cool catching a glimpse at what makes a character who he is.

I laughed aloud at Humperdink's Zoo of Death, with his many prey at their many levels. Quite an assortment resides there, all carefully tended by the Albino for his hunting pleasure: Rhinos, cheetah, screaming spiders, and...Hummingbirds! LOL. The movie makes it seem like there's just one big room used as the torture chamber, when the book makes it soooo much more interesting and fun!

Humperkink really is a jerk. What a goon. No big surprise there. I love the ending when he considers what "To the Pain" truly means to his miserable existence.

Sigh, and the ending is so good, even after seeing the movie so many times. Or perhaps it's because we have? My husband had me read the very last part of it to him - from when Fezzik carried Westley out of Miracle Max's house until the end - And we both laughed aloud, enjoying it yet again. It's just wonderful.

Your turn!

This message was edited Sunday, Sep 2nd 2:24 AM

This thread has 13 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!