Yucca vine

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Since Paul is showing off, I will, too!

merremia aurea
Not a great picture, the darn blooms are so high I had a hard time getting a pic. The leaves you see are from the rubber vine ;P

Thumbnail by azreno
Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

Very pretty. I have a place I'd like to put a vine and this one sounds perfect. BUT, can you tell me if it's invasive? The info I was able to find even said it's deer resistant--perfect for my yard!

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

These are my first flowers, I dunno if it's invasive. I can say it is not very hardy :(

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

Thanks--that's good to know. The info I read indicated that it is hardy in my zone. Can't believe everything ya read! I'll just keep looking.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

I have a friend on the other side of Phx who had one in an exposed spot that died over the winter and her yard is warmer than mine. I suppose it could be regrown from seed every year?

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

Possibly--don't see why not as long as it isn't one of those that's hard to get it to germinate. I wonder if it would root in water? I have Mex. Flame vine that isn't hardy in cold weather and I've been told I can take cuttings every year and root them over the winter to plant back outside in the spring. This is my first year with it so I will take cuttings but I'm hoping it might also self-seed. It sure has plenty of seeds left behind from all the flowers it keeps putting on. I love it and it blooms all summer like the yucca vine. That's one reason I was interested in the yucca vine--I love things that attract butterflies and bloom all summer.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

I don't believe it roots from cuttings, stems are very small. It's supposed to bloom all summer? Mine just started blooming, it was a seedling I planted last year, so not a young plant.

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

My bad--the Mex Flame blooms all summer, the yucca is supposed to bloom early summer and early fall if I remember right. I also seem to remember that it starts blooming its best at about three years old.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Oh, so the m. aurea would not be a good one to grow from seed I think.

My flame vines bloom when it's not summer :(

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

AZ if you get seeds save me one Paul

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Nice Lynn!!

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Marie you still don't have that one?

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

wow looks so pretty.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.