Want Sunflower seed heads for birds

Dearborn Heights, MI(Zone 6a)

Does anyone know of a farm in the Detroit metro area (within 50 miles) thats sells Sunflower heads?
I have found a few out of state places to order online, but would rather buy local.
Thanks,
Sandy

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

Hi Sandy,

I've never heard of anyone just selling the head and I've been to multible greenhouses and gardening centers...so I would just get in the yellow pages and start calling places.
Are these for the birds? I'm sure you will have luck some place here in Michigan...
I'll keep my eyes peeled for you....

Have a Wonderful Sunshiny Day!

Delane

Thumbnail by detheo
Dearborn Heights, MI(Zone 6a)

This place sells them online: http://www.songbirdgarden.com/store/scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=465

Yes, I want them for the birds. I manage to grow a few sunflowers, but not enough.
I will call around. I can always order from that place online.

Sandy

Greenbush, MI(Zone 4b)

Sandy,

I doubt if you are going to get a good deal online; they are expensive all over Michigan. We buy from the Amish in Mio, who were always reasonalbe. The Amish man told us they will probably never come down in price because more farmers are choosing to grow corn (for fuel) rather than sunflowers. We buy 100-150lbs at a time for the birds.
Last year we paid $14.00 per 100lbs; this year's price at all the places we've been is $22.00- 28.00 per 100lbs.

Good Luck,

Carol

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

Go down to Eastern Market on a Saturday morning.
Even if you don't find them it's a great experience.

Paul

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.