TS Fay

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

Looks like we might definitely get some rain through the state; I just hope we avoid that NE quadrant with all the bad wind.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at1+shtml/203433.shtml?5day?large#contents

Thumbnail by keonikale
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

We are already battening down the hatches - well, at least picking up all the containers and getting ready to haul them to the garage. After our recent microburst I don't want any more plants becoming airborn; watching them fly around the last time was scary enough.

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

Anytime the wind gets bad (and that seems to be an increasing trend lately) I just have to go sit in a room away from the windows - it makes me nervous watching everything blowing like that. When we had hail a few weeks ago, I seriously was about to run out and start grabbing things; luckily the hail was short lived and didn't do any real damage.

Looks like we'll see TS winds here though too, so I guess we'll be pulling a few things in just to be safe.

Rain = Good. Wind, uh, not so much.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

The weather channel specifically said Hilton Head Island. Nice. That should chase away the tourists.

No way will this be a strong storm if it goes over land all the way here. I'm sure Ga and the midlands could use a good 10 inches of rain. Probably more like 20. Is that lake up by Altanta still about dry? I haven't heard anything about it lately.

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

Looks like another storm might be brewing in the Atlantic now too. Been a weird year for the models. Every time I run one I get something different. Even Fay has bounced around a good bit on where it's going.

Thumbnail by keonikale
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

well it looks like the lowcountry is getting that NE quadrant. hope we get some real good drought relief in the upstate

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Looks like it's headed to Brunswick now. For some reason I think it's going to head off shore and hug the coast. Just a feeling. Looks like the places that need water are going to get it.

This message was edited Aug 18, 2008 10:06 PM

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

Well this is certainly a change. This thing doesn't seem to know what it's doing. Looks like ATL might get some good rain though. I just hope we get some of it up here in SC. Looks like a Bermuda high is what's pushing it inland. Chances are it'll swing back to the east if it makes it out of Georgia, once it gets around that High.

This message was edited Aug 18, 2008 9:21 PM

Thumbnail by keonikale
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

That's odd looking. No biggie, big rain a needed in GA and hopefully SC. Doesn't look like much will get up towards NC now.

Looks like another TS is starting to form.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

well at least it wont be able to get over the atlantic and strengthen

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

I wouldn't bet on that. It wouldn't take much to get it back over the water and they tend to hug the coast following the gulf stream. Warm water is a hurricanes power source so that's what they head for.

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

Fortunately this one's blocked by that bermuda high, so it's got slim chance of getting back over water unless that high diminishes. And we better hope it does. That new system is one to definitely keep an eye on... it's looking to take a more northern track and that same Bermuda high is what can "box" it in, and make it head right for the coast versus turning up like the others.

This morning they show it swinging to the west way south of Atlanta although they will surely get some needed rain. This might be one that makes a circle back to the gulf and picks up speed again. What a schizophrenic storm. Florida is probably in for some tornadoes.

And then there is Invest 94 sitting out there waiting it's turn to torment us.........

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

Yipes I don't like the looks of that storm especially if it goes back out to sea and gathers wind, then comes up the coast.

Lavina

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

It's starting to look like a storm that has it in for Florida. Goes across once and gets into the Atlantic, gets boxed by the High and sent back across Florida. And then, once the high diminishes, it can head north and east back into Florida yet again.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Looks like I was right about Fay getting back to the water. From there? Acting kind of odd it might just end up dying in southern GA.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

I heard on the evening weather report that Fay had actually strengthened while she was over land today.

I thought that was strange but I wonder if the fact that it was over Lake Okeechobee, which is huge, for an extended period had something to so with that.

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

Yeah that's very unusual for that to happen. This is certainly an "interesting" storm.

Johns Island, SC

We'll wait for it to actually start to "happen" before we get all nervous and jerky about it. These weather forecasters make their living off getting people hyper-stimulated. Once in a million years they may be right. Maybe. But to get all excited about it at this point is a waste of perfectly good emotion...

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

I'm more a wait and see guy. It's not like a hurricane sneaks up on you.

I am wondering with all these new people in Beaufort county how everyone is going to leave at once. I've never evacuated when it was call for but I do remember a 8 hour traffic jam headed to I95 the last time. There are a lot more people in Southern Beaufort county now and no new roads to leave. Might be more like a 16 hour traffic jam next time.

I also love the panic that goes on. I shouldn't but people who haven't lived on the coast for long tend to panic. Blue sky and they're running around like the hurricane eye is going to hit in 30 minutes. More like 2 days but the weather guys are good at getting people whipped up.

Doesn't matter Fay is not a problem.

It is probably not the weather that scares people as much as the traffic. If there was to be a mandatory evacuation those of us at the lower elevations on the sea islands would be wise to leave and if we don't leave early enough we might get stuck sitting in the car for hours. We had tenants in this house back in '99 and they were stuck for 13 hours on the road because they didn't panic early on. When you only have one road out and there are too many people - well, you get the picture.

The FL and GA people get the choice spots on I-95 because they get there first. Once the orders come down we are mandated to take the secondary roads towards Augusta. Rather than sitting in a car for too many hours, in the middle of the Savannah River Site, I'd vote for getting out ahead of the state's orders and going where I want to go. If it turns out to be a false alarm I'll have had a mini vacation.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

I have to much going on for a mini vacation and so do many around here. The Hotel and resort people really have a probelm. They have to stay till the tourist are gone and then back to work immediately if nothing happens.

Ladson, SC

I leave the state during Sept.
I am a big chicken.

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

LOL you all are 2 funny, when I lived in Jacksonville Fla, we always rode them out until one year water filled out appt and I was up on the frig. Did I say my son was 3 months old and on top of the frig with me.
Next week we moved back to Alabama.

Lavina

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

I've seen feeder bands up close but never had that much of a problem. Can't remember which Hurricane it was but it was around 2000 and we lost power etc. Had a generator hooked up to my frig, stereo and a few lights. Let the party begin. LOL. The marines ended up on the HHI bridge and closed down HHI for a little while, making my house a pit stop on the way back on the island.

I just heard they are expecting 30" of rain in the Cape Canaveral area. Not a good situation with the tides as high as they are this week. We had a 6'9" tide at noon today and they are supposed to get higher as the week progresses. Put lots of rain on top of moon tides and a lot of people will be on their refrigerators.

First of the bands passed us a little while ago, lots of wind and horizontal rain for about 10 minutes.

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

I certainly won't miss the wind, but I'd hoped to get some rain out of this storm. No rain for us this time.

Johns Island, SC

We're getting bands up here now too, ardesia. Heavy rain for 10 minutes or so, then nothing. Pretty windy, though.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

we have had rain from it since wednesday night.. some parts of my yard had 4" of standing water but thats gone now. we have gotten 3'' so far/ a few pine limbs have fallen, it blew over our big potted ficus tree and took out several stems of the texas star hibiscus, i had to stake up an empress tree i had just planted, but overall not much damage plant wise. how are yall doing??

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

Windy and rainy off and on here today.

For just a TS, this thing is a beast: http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/southeast_loop.php

This message was edited Aug 22, 2008 4:52 PM

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

We have gotten 2.5" today, and almost 5" since the weekend. Some of my plants are putting up snorkels. :)

Florence, SC(Zone 8a)

:::waving at all the SC folks!::::

We hade the outer bands of Fay today. The wind was really strong, and we had some rain. My aunt lives in Bluffton, and my mom is in Hilton Head....they are having rain!

Johns Island, SC

I agree the population build-up is the major problem. Be nice to solve the major problem, but since that's not an option open to non-politicians/normal people, here's a suggestion that worked for us during the "Floyd Fiasco": take the book of S.C. County Maps with you. Run the "Government Approved" exit routes as far as you can to the first bottleneck and get off as soon as you can. Take secondary roads in the general direction you're headed as far as you can until they start to crowd up. Then start on the tertiary roads. My book even shows dirt roads (we never had to use a dirt road). People seem to revert to the herd mentality during a crisis. Once we left the jam around Bamburg and headed south, we had a literally traffic-free (albeit round-about!) ride all the way to Augusta. I mean, there was no one one those back roads!
Ardesia; there is no solution to the barrier island road blocks except to be first off. Even when they reverse the lanes, it will still be a mess! Hotel room on the mainland 24 hrs. before they call for mandatory evacuation? Once you get off the island, there are a million "bleeder routes" you can find to get you to where you want to go...

LOL, yeah and I know them all, they are fun to take when you feel like exploring. Of course, being ancient, when I first moved to SC we didn't even have I 95 or I 26 and the little roads were the only roads. With everyone having GPS's now I am afraid the secondary and tertiary roads will be jammed next time. We always head for Columbia, that's home and there are plenty of hotel rooms, good food and friends.

It has been raining here since Wednesday. We had 5" of rain yesterday during the day and it has poured all night; it is still to dark to see the gauge this morning. I believe we have made up the rain deficit we were having.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

We got another 1/2" overnight, which makes a total since Monday of just about 5" here.
It stopped raining about an hour or so ago though, and --for the moment--the sun's shining. :)
Deb

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Deb, I added my totals up and it was 7.5 inches where I live for the last week .. and now it's raining again! .. I did however manage to get the yard mowed and whacked before it started again. My gingers, brugs and canna are in heaven .. everything else is looking for the ark.

X

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

Just got another 2.5" here this afternoon and more appears to be on the way as Fay begins to head east again.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

keonikale: Same here. Got a real pounding rain this afternoon. (I think I saw a squirrel sporting a snorkel, too.)

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

there's anther storm... Gustav

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.