I used to like Canna's

Evans, GA(Zone 7b)

... but now I'm not so sure. And before I duck the darts and arrows, ler me say that I know it is probably me that is to blame. I like the flowers and I like the leaves. It's just that in MY garden they mostly haven't worked. First I have to overcome that mite that destroys the emerging leaves and buds. After achieving that, the stems grow tall and spindly above the leaves. If I cut the ugly dead flowers it also means cutting the emerging ones. Perhaps I have them in the wrong setting - that they work best in a tropical themed garden? Comments and suggestions please.

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

Artgal, I live in zone 5b on the high plains desert of Denver, CO. That means we don't get much rain(supposed to be 14" annualy, but haven't had that in a while), and gets much to cold to winter over in the ground. I have to mulchheavily to keep the roots moist, and they get hit by the sprinklers 3 days a week. To dead head, I just pull the flowers petals off, and leave the rest alone. During early summer, we always get hit with mites and aphids, and I pretty much spray everything with sevin, including the veg garden. I'm sure others will have their 2 cents to add. Paul.

Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

Hi Artgal ..

As you can see I live way UP in Canada .. Zone 3a .. my Cannas do well .. all be it they don't 'bloom out' til August.
Do you dig'em up in the fall ?

Sevin is a good all round spray .. altho I have been lucky (so far)

Here's a pic of mine taken recently

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.