Couldn't help myself!!

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

I kept seeing all those wonderful things ya'll were buying and just had to have some for myself!
Can't go buying stuff right now so I used some polymer clay left over from making me wedding bouquet (okay, that project isn't finished either, ha!).
What`cah think so far? It will be a planter with a fluted base and lotssssssss of vines and grapes.

Thumbnail by crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

I'm making "petal pots" too. They're mini planters made to look like flower petals!
And some cacti and other tiny plants. Man this is EXCITING!!!

I'm thinking about a distressed finish on the pots. Something easy on the eyes and maybe some tiny dimples to help moss stick!

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

The yellow is just the lid (future bird bath) it was resting on.
Now off ta bake then paint it!

Southwest, VA(Zone 6a)

crimsontsavo, so far so good there, I like it! Keep posting pictures of your process!!

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Heya!
Tankies very much. Here's the bird bath in progress.

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

./././..

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

I think those are great! And, I'll bet you had fun making them :0)

Southwest, VA(Zone 6a)

Really, really beautiful!!

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

oh yea. my fingers are all white and sticky, reminds me of playing in the mud as a child.. or yesterday, lmao.
as soon as it's done cooking ill paint the pot and post it. the waiting is killlllllllllllling me!

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

what colors should I use yall? I was thinking a very aged wash of color on the grapes and leaves and distress the whole lot.
GOnna make some rocks too hehehe.

Southwest, VA(Zone 6a)

LOL, I bet it is!

Southwest, VA(Zone 6a)

I think an aged wash look (stain maybe) would make them look like the real deal close up and accent all the details! Cooool!

This is one of my favorite painting techniques...

prime with kilz, then coat with Minwax 'jacobean' wood stain, and then immediately wipe off with a rag...

Thumbnail by seedpicker_TX
Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Ohhh me likey!! Ill see about doing that one it's coool. I want it to be old italy'ish.

just be sure you do the kilz, first...otherwise the stain will soak in , or absorb in, too much...:0)

For something that tiny, I'd say use maybe an old toothbrush to apply the stain, and an old sock or q-tips, to remove it?

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

here it is!

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

top.

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Does it look old italy?

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Ive been taking pictures as I went along, think this is a good tutorial in the making? Imma do it, this was FUN!

wow, that was quick!! What did you use on it?
-T

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

acrylic craft paint. lmao
gotta do it cheap cause the 5.00 for supplies broke me LOLLOL

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Now how on earth would I make a mold outta these?

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Birdbath&Planter

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

And I am done for now. lol
Will post pics of them in the fairy garden later.

Joey in Conroe, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh my those are stunning. I just started playing with polymer clay and this is really inspiring!! Great job, both on the sculpting and choice of finish!
If you ever do post a tutorial, I would be a rapt pupil!

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Yayyyy my first poly-pupil! LOL
I'll probably be posting that tutorial within the next month or so. :-D
Tankies very much and good luck with your clay`spirations!

Crim-
fantastic job!!

are you going to spray with clear-coat uv protector, now?
-T

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

hehe when I get the money to but it yup.
ty ty ty. :> puffed out chest here. :>

Southwest, VA(Zone 6a)

Jocie, there's a mold-making substance that is a rubbery subtance when dried/cured, that you can use with various materials! I wanted to make a few fairy body & face molds after seeing how expensive the mass-produced 'push-molds' cost. The mold product didn't cost that much... I'll get back to ya, if I find the dern link.

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Oh these mini creations are sooo cool! I don't know if I would have the patience to do pieces so small, but who knows...I could surprise myself on the right day...lol!

Btw, seedpicker_TX...I love the painting technique that you posted. I'm really thinking that I want to try that on my fireplace frame & mantle. It's already painted white...so, would I still need to use the primer or could I just sand it a bit?

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Soon as were outta this financial hole if I still like this hobby I may buy something like that Sun. This is really a lot of fun!

BC,
You can totally do this! If ya get frustrated just wrap it all up in plastic wrap then go at it again whenever you feel like it. Ill be watching for you to post pictures buahhahaha.

Fountain, FL(Zone 8b)

Oh my gosh, Jocelyn.
I like those alot. I have to know what you need to make a bunch of those...I'll buy it, if you'll make 'em.

Bc-
It will work just like you have it(priming is already under your paint, and no sanding...you want it slick. You can just add stain: wipe on, wipe off, and voila!

Just be really sure to tape off that area, and used painters plastic over the stuff you want to protect. That stain does NOT come out of stuff it gets spilled or flicked onto, lol...:0)

I used long rubbermaid dishwashing gloves and then sock over the top of that, both for applying and "un-applying".

The top of that piece was sanded and then I used stain only...I wanted it to be just dark jacobean. And, then coated with spar varnish eurethane.

That same week, I went "curbside shopping" and found those old bookshelves, and painted the same way

Crimson-I was thinking the same as libellule...that you could make more and list them on ebay. A lot of professional miniature makers and "designers" started no different than you just did...having fun!!

Thumbnail by seedpicker_TX
Southwest, VA(Zone 6a)

seedpicker, Wow those a beautiful pieces you've created with that staining method!! I'll have to file that in the back of my brain, so the next time we refinish furniture I'll know what to do!!

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Crimson - that's a good point and would be right up my alley; to be able to put a project to the side for a bit. I have to be in the right 'mood' for it. I also need to get a craft area set up again, which is something I haven't done since we bought our house. I have lots of art supplies, but unfortunately they're just stowed away for the most part. I've never worked with polymer clay though. I can't wait to see your mini's in their settings! I'm intrigued and inspired by the creativity that so many of you DGer's exibit!

Seedpicker - Thanks so much for posting that pic. I just looove those pieces. Fabulous work indeed! It's nice to now what the full-on effect of the 'jacobean' looks like as well. Upon seeing that...I might make the mantel a bit darker than the frame. Hmmmn...I've got creative juices going, either way! Thanks for the additional details and warnings of the mess. I will be doing this over a section of tile and the rest is wood flooring.

I actually used to paint homes with my ex-husband a long, long time ago, but we didn't do a lot of staining. So, even though I know better on the preventive measures; my excitement to start a 'project' is usually coupled with impatience. So, I tend to jump the gun and do things or NOT do things that I know I should...lol! With that being said...I will be chanting to myself...painter's tape and plastic...as I'm shopping for the stain!!

Btw, you just put the varnish on the top piece, correct?

Southwest, VA(Zone 6a)

Jocie, here are a few links that might help you with making polymer clay molds.

This one uses hardened polymer clay "as the mold" material:
http://www.how-to-make-jewelry.com/polymer-clay-bead.html

This is the substance, Puffinalia Miracle Mold, I mentioned before, but is pricey:
http://www.puffinalia.com/miraclemold/miraclemold.html

Mold-n-Pour is sold at JoAnn Fabrics and is very expensive, too:
http://www.amazon.com/Melt-Art-Mold-Pour-Compound/dp/B00083N0J2

I may try to make a mold out of the hardened polymer clay first to see how that works out. I think the trick would be to have your "model" without very deep 3D relief.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.