Thankful for my harvest

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I am enjoying the fruits of my labor, so to speak. My garden has done pretty well considering it has all been grown in 2 flower beds. The soil is not deep but I ammended the potting soil with horse manure and sawdust and most of what I planted seems to like it. My broccoli was a disappointment as only one plant lived and it is just now starting to make a few little "heads" in the forks of the branches. Our rabbit is enjoying the leaves I pick for her from it. My carrots did okay. I didn't expect them to get to any size because of the shallow soil but I was hoping for more plants. The rabbit is enjoying those too. My squash is doing great. (I need a good, easy recipe for squash casserole) My peppers are doing good but haven't taken on their colors yet. The yellow ones are starting to turn but the red ones are still dark green. My lettuce has done very well but is going to seed now so I have been feeding it to the rabbit also. I planted 55 onion sets a few weeks ago and they are coming up nicely. I have 4 stalks of volunteer corn that will give me 9 ears of corn. Looking forward to that. My potatoes in the tires rotted. One did make about 5 little potatoes that would all fit in one of my small hands. But my tomatoes are the star of my garden. I have a number of different heirlooms and they are bearing like crazy. I give them away and we eat all we want. I am very happy with them. Will be putting garlic in the tomato bed when they are done. The 2 muskmelon vines were put in late and they have a couple of melons on them. We will have to see what they will do.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy
Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Someone gave us some of those little yellow squash....I need to know what/how to fix them!!

Brighton, MO(Zone 6a)

The yellow crookneck squash can be cooked like and substituted for zucchini. The little yellow acorns are wonderful baked with a pat of butter and a teaspoon of brown sugar in the center.

Thank you....I have the little crookneck ones.

Moss Point, MS(Zone 8b)

The yellow crooknecks have a delicate flavor. I slice them, barely cover the bottom of the pan with water and steam for just a few minutes. I like them tender but still looking like a slice. You can saute a little onion in the pan first if you like. Butter, salt and pepper.

Danbury, CT(Zone 6a)

Beautiful CajuninKy. Good growing! What varieties of tomatoes are those?

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Wow! Nice haul!

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Great looking veggies. Such beautiful colors.

As for the tablecloth, thats a different story lol.

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

Beautiful harvest!
Our tomatoes have been having a hard time this year due to the weather. It gets hot, then cold, then hot, then cold. The poor plants don't know whether to grow or stand still!

For summer squash, whether zucchini, patty pans, crooknecks, trompocinos etc, we like to saute them with lemon and mint.

For 1 1/2 lbs of squash, cut into 1/4 inch rounds or chunks, saute 1 small yellow onion or 2 shallots in extra virgin olive oil over medium heat. Add 1 tsp of lemon zest (grated lemon peel), stir, add the squash and cook until the squash is almost done to your liking (we like it tender but firm). Stir in ~ Tbsp of lemon juice and 2 Tbsps of chopped mint leaves. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Hey, g_m, that sounds interesting. I would never have thought of using mint with squash, but if mine EVER decide to produce, I will surely try that!

Thumbnail by Sequee
Weatherford, TX(Zone 7b)

You may like this Recipe for baked squash. I make it once a week lately as we have alot of yellow squash also.
5 pounds medium size yellow squash
2 eggs beaten
1 cup bread crumbs plus additional for topping
1 stick butter or margarine
1/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons onion chopped
salt and pepper to taste. (I go kinda heavy on pepper)
Cut tips off squash and cut each into 3 or 4 pieces. Boil in large pot with enough water to cover squash. Reduce heat and cook until tender. Drain in colander and mash.
Combine beaten eggs,1 cup bread crumbs,butter, sugar,salt,pepper and onion. Turn into 3 quart casserole dish that has been lightly greased. Sprinkle a light layer of bread crumbs over top.Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes or until lightly browned.

mmm...that sounds good!

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

That sounds much like the recipe I've been searching my house for...and it IS delic!!!

Thanks!

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Weedlady's reciepe is the one I really love. They call it squash casserole here and once ya start eating it, ya just don't stop. It yummy. : )

Great looking fruits of labor Cajin. Ya did good!!!!!!!! Had to chuckle at how much the rabbits are havign a feast too. ; ) Hope they minding their manners and remender to thank you for sharing your harvest.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Weedlady

It sounds like something I could do. Do I need to peel them?

Weatherford, TX(Zone 7b)

Hi Cajun. No need to peel. I just wash with my potato brush and boil. Very easy and good also!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I sauteed (sp?) some today with fresh onion, fresh yellow tomato, fresh bell pepper, ham, garlic powder and McCormik season all. I coated it all with canola oil cooking spray and cooked until tender. It was wonderful. All the veggies came from my garden but the onion.
I feel like I have really accomplished something with my garden this year.

Ooo, that sounds good too. We have all that fresh from the garden too...I will skip the ham!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

It would likely work well with most any meat. And I think I will add carrots the next time around.

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

Just in time, as I am overrun with yellow squash this week. I was pondering what recipe to use, but I think Weedlady has a good one, and I might throw in some hamburger too. I should eat for a couple of days off of that, if I can stop once I start :) I LOVE squash casserole (good thing, as I am the only one that does...LOL!)

I did Cajun's sautee..I just didn't add any meat to it...Not a vegan, I just don't eat meat alot at lunch time for some reason!! Yummy !

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I did it again today at DH's request. Used chicken instead of ham. It was great.

The chicken sounds good.

Weatherford, TX(Zone 7b)

Toss all the veggies Cajun said in olive oil and garlic salt & pepper, I also add mushrooms and cook on the grill with one of those grill pans with holes in them. Yum! Today I got a recipe with my electric bill for Dessert Made with Zucchini. My hubby wants to try that one. Lord only knows how that will turn out as he is not much of a cook. LOL guess I can get rid of some Zucchini any way I can.

I LOVE Zucchini Bread!

Weatherford, TX(Zone 7b)

Hey Nanny,you got an easy recipe for that? I love it also and dont remember my easy and good one after a house fire years ago.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Thanks all for the squash recipes, I will try them, sound really good. Donna

Weatherford, TX(Zone 7b)

Hineni, yes ground beef and cheese is very good in this. If adding cheese I lessen the cooking time.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I make my squash bread with yellow squash. Its yummy too, taste about the same. Always so moist and tendter.
My MIL makes a squash casserole with cheese and hamburger ( altho I woulndt say the cheese is a stong taste factor)it very good.

No I don't ....LOL! I neveer made ite myself....there was just always someone around who had zuchinni and was making the darn stuff! Haven't had any for years now...

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Could I get the recipe for zuchinni bread? I'd love to try it.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I just sprinkle salt and sugar and throw summer squash on the grill and pull them off when they've got good grill marks but still crisp in the middle. They are fantastic that way. I hate soggy squash.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

That is exactlly how I feel about and cook zuke. As a girl from the south, I can soggy up some yellow squash with onlons. lol

This pretty similar too what my stepmom used to make.

http://www.bigoven.com/163406_ZuchinniBread-Bestever_recipe.html

Weatherford, TX(Zone 7b)

Made the Zucc bread and it was wonderful. Thanks!

Alright!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.