Tropical Storm FAY

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Tropical Storm Fay just formed in the Gulf of Mexico. Right now it is heading for Cuba, then Hispaniola, and then the Florida Keys. From http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ :

Quoting:
THE FORECAST TRACK CALLS FOR FAY TO CROSS LARGE PORTIONS OF HISPANIOLA AND CUBA...WHICH SHOULD LIMIT INTENSIFICATION. SIGNIFICANT STRENGTHENING IS EXPECTED WHEN THE CENTER EMERGES FROM THE NORTH COAST OF CUBA...ALTHOUGH IT IS UNCERTAIN HOW WELL ORGANIZED THE STORM WILL BE AT THAT TIME. THE INTENSITY FORECAST WILL CALL FOR A PEAK INTENSITY OF 60 KT...AND THERE IS ABOUT A 30 PERCENT CHANCE THAT FAY COULD BECOME A HURRICANE AT THAT TIME. IT SHOULD BE NOTED THAT ANY DEVIATIONS FROM THE FORECAST TRACK THAT ALLOW FAY MORE TIME OVER WATER WOULD RESULT IN A STORM STRONGER THAN CURRENTLY FORECAST.

They aren't sure at this point if Fay is going to go on shore after hitting the Keys, or just travel up the coast, or if it will turn farther west and head up towards the Panhandle/Alabama. Please be careful, everyone!

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

UhOh!

Oh boy, here we go again.
Should I bring orchids and pots inside?

I hope it fizzles to nothing, that way it won't affect anyone.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

If it matters to you & it's portable, yeah, I'd bring it inside. :) Better safe than sorry.

Ya'll be safe... Trust your local news weather crews to tell you when to run, and if they say go, Do it! Don't find yourself trapped without power or drinkable water for whatever reason.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

This storm seems to have all of the computers baffled... It may or may not go east and travel up the east coast of Florida... or it could stay in the Gulf and go up the west coast.. or it could just barrel up through the center of Florida. It may stay a tropical storm, or end up being a Category 2 hurricane. Whichever way it goes, Florida is going to get hit, so yeah, I would think pulling your pots inside would be a very wise move.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX
So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

If she stays on that track, she'll be right over me by Friday, with LOTS of rain... which means flooding in my area. Between Key West and here, though, anything can happen.

Thanks goodness for us here in the east coast we are on the clear now. Unfortunately, those in the west coast will get the brunt of this. I was wishing that it would go out to sea and wouldn't affect anyone. My father lives in Naples so he can be affected somehow.

I didn't do anything at the end. I waited for all the advisories and the 5 PM one (above) confirmed what I hoped for.

The computer models have been very conflicting at times. Hurricane predictions are like a game of dice, one never knows what they'll do until the last minute.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

You still have a tropical storm warning, jnana. Please be careful.

[quote]IT IS LIKELY THAT FAY WILL MAKE
LANDFALL AT OR NEAR HURRICANE STRENGTH. AFTER 24 HR...THE
INTENSITY WILL DEPEND MAINLY ON WHETHER FAY IS OVER LAND...AS THE
UPPER-LEVEL WINDS ARE LIKELY TO BECOME MORE FAVORABLE. THE CURRENT
INTENSITY FORECAST IS BASED ON FAY REMAINING OVER LAND AND THUS
DISSIPATING. IF FAY REGAINS THE ATLANTIC OR THE GULF OF MEXICO
DURING THE FORECAST PERIOD...IT WILL LIKELY REMAIN STRONGER THAN
FORECAST.

IT SHOULD BE NOTED THAT...SIMILAR TO CHARLEY IN 2004...SMALL
DEVIATIONS FROM THE FORECAST TRACK COULD MAKE LARGE DIFFERENCES IN
WHEN AND WHERE THE CENTER OF FAY MAKES LANDFALL ON THE FLORIDA
COAST.[quote]
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX

Looks like I'll be getting rain outta this one. LOL
~Susan

Thanks Marylyn, I'll be careful don;t worry. I'm not one to take chances.

After all these years here in SFL, I've seen quite a few TS and hurricanes. I really worry when it's Cat 2 +, but I don't take the lesser ones lightly either.

It's been raining non stop here since 4 am. At times it has been just a drizzle and at others (like right now) a downpour. I think the biggest threat we have is flooding right now especially in low lying areas.

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

All we got here was some minor wind and a lot of rain which we needed. We are located on the border of Hollywood and ten miles south of Ft Lauderdale. No damage. It is pouring just now!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

How are you all doing? (I know... that should be "y'all"... My Midwestern roots are showing. At least I didn't call you "guys." LOL) Last night when I looked at the map, they had Fay swinging back out into the Atlantic, becoming a hurricane, and turning around and whapping Florida again. This morning, it looks like it is going to take a tighter turn, spend a lot less time over the water, and remain a tropical storm. Yayyy! Now if will just NOT end up back over the Gulf, maybe it will finally dissipate.

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX
Erwin, TN(Zone 7a)

It is raining hard , the wind is blowing, --the power is out and been out since 2;20 this afternoon, -- but the generator is on and working, --I am up cause I have the grand baby, --she just ate and is now sleeping again, --things are wet and we have a foot of water in the yard, --but we are fine- yours in the garden, ---Michael

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Make it stop

Hope it makes it to where the rain is really needed like Georgia and Alabama?

It's definitely made it to GA.
~Susan
:)

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

YAY! May you Not get the volatile weather we had!

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

Whatta lotta rain, ya'll. Sorry to see the mess.

It's been bringing weather patterns that have been bringing rain here, too. . I told our Pastor this afternoon "Please stop praying for rain, I've had enough.. .you can quit now." He laughed. :)

stay safe everybody... get out your galoshes & rubber duckies... oh yeah, and some bubble bath. wouldn't that be funny???

Fountain, FL(Zone 8a)

Rain here. Wind yesterday and last night enough to blow over bunches of my plants...where they will stay until Fay gets done messing with us. I don't think it has really hit us yet...later this afternoon or early evening. Have not checked the T.V. lately...Bill has Springsteen blasting in the livingroom while I play here. LOL

The weather down here looks beautiful this morning. The sky is blue with scattered tiny puffy clouds that look like little balls of cotton. I've not been able to work outside for the entire week because of the weather. It has been raining on and off and just when I 'd think to get in a couple of hours work the skies would open up. Looking out this morning I've noticed my corn a mess with rot my peppers, most of them, bent over and touching the ground and on other plants the insects are having a field day so I have my work cut out for me not to mention the weeds that have also had a holiday for themselves. Have to wait a couple of hours though for the area to dry up a little plus to let my arthritis meds to kick in because my shoulders are kind of painful till then. Hope the weather holds?

We are seeing sunshine in Valdosta today! Woohoo!

Erwin, TN(Zone 7a)

The yard is still about 1/2 under water, --we got 13 inches from fay and another 1 1/2 " from a thunderstorm this afternoon, --it will be a while until I get to the garden, --

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.