Iris seeds wanted.

Merino, Australia

Hello to all on this forum. I am interested in getting some Iris seeds from overseas as I would like to introduce some new color into my own Iris.
I have checked on our import regulations and can import Iris seeds here as long as they are labeled properly in separate packets. The packets can be posted in one envelope though.
I have been growing named Iris for a few of years now and have around 140.
I do like growing new plants from seed and admire all the gorgeous Irises I see on overseas sites. I want to try growing some seed from particular irises I have admired on these sites.
I know the seedlings will be different to the parents but the characteristics will be in the seed .
That's the fun of seed growing. waiting to see what comes out.
Is there anyone out there who would like to sell me some seed . I would want the names of the parent plants so I can follow the color trends etc.
I have listed a few of the blooms I particularly like.
I hope someone out there can help. Please Dmail me for address and payment details. thank you. Jean.
Bellagio
Celestial Explosion
Purple Ritz
Sea Power
Apollodorus
Blutique
Chevalier de Malte

Raleigh, NC

you do know you've got the best in the world there in Aussisland, Barry Blyth, right? he used to sell almost all the very best from overseas in his catalogues. why don't you contact him, see if he'll get you started with some pollen and make your own seed?

wish you well, but it was a horrendous amount of work to get the few pods of seeds this year that the heavy spring rain, insects, and drought didn't destroy. I must have made 300 crosses for 6 pods.

Merino, Australia

Thank you for that info. I did not realise we had such a breeder here. I am relatively new to growing named iris . I am only familiar with the common ones that have been grown in all the old gardens for years. Now I have found all the gorgeous new ones i am eager to try my own breeding. I will try and contact Barry Blyth and see what happens Jean..

Raleigh, NC

Good Luck, Jean. irisloverdee once told me Barry, and Keith Keppel (who help each other, getting two breeding seasons from it) are 20 years ahead of everyone else. Barry has some of the most beautiful I've ever seen. His garden is called Tempo Two. Some of his color combinations are breathtaking. His irises perennially maintain very high prices here in the States. But he had all the best of Schreiners, Keppel, Hager and Ernst, Ghio, Kerr, Cadd, and many others listed in his last catalogue.

Merino, Australia

Thank you for the replies. I have bought from tempo two but did not realise who the breeder was. They certainly have magnificent blooms.

Raleigh, NC

you have the ability to buy from Tempo Two? Honey, darling, you don't need anything else in the world of iris! Barry's the very best! An international superstar!

Merino, Australia

Benjon, if I had the money I would buy every iris they have but sadly I can't. I save up and get one or two a season. The real pain is trying to decide which one or two. Jean.

Merino, Australia

I have finally gone through all my named iris and looked up the hybridisers. I was amazed to see that I have over 30 from Blyth and 10 from Schreiner plus 2 from Grosvenor. I have never looked before as I am still new at breeding iris. I have lots of others from different hybridisers but I am so pleased to have all those from Blyth.
Eat your hearts out, iris lovers in US.
I should not gloat as I am only a newbie at this and I am the first to admit that It is accidental, as I was only buying iris whose color and form I liked. I never looked at the breeder. With Blyth being an Australian breeder , it was only natural that there would be a lot of his out there.
Thank you to those who took the time to reply to my post.
One of Blyth's pretty ones. "Just Magic"
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Athens, PA(Zone 5b)

I have one pod from my first time growing Iris. If you are interested, I can send you the seed pod if you send postage.. This is a pic of the Iris the pod is from and is a 24-36" Bearded Iris called Full Tide. I don't know anything about how to send the pod or if I should take the seeds out of the pod yet to send. Let me know if you want them and how to send them if you are interested.

Thumbnail by posyblossom
Athens, PA(Zone 5b)

Here is a pic of the pod still outside on its stem.

Thumbnail by posyblossom
Raleigh, NC

posy, I may be of some help here. First of all, Full Tide is an Opal Brown intro

second is, the clue to what you do with the seeds is in this thread's opening post. 77sunset has some very strict regulations for importing plant material. The seeds must be out of the pod, in a labeled packet, in order to pass.

And I'd let the seeds dry a bit before you try shipping them, as they will mold otherwise.

Athens, PA(Zone 5b)

bonjon, I am very ignorant on any of this. I would like to know too, when should I cut the pod from the stem and open it to dry the seeds?

Raleigh, NC

when it's no longer green - and I should add, because I didn't know this year, watch out for holes - if you see even so much as a pin hole, you may have to open it early as bugs like to eat seeds the way we like to eat early peas!

South Hamilton, MA

The pods start to turn brown & crack open when they are ready to harvest--it still green the seed won't be mature enough to germinate. Right on about the bug holes, someone wants to lay eggs.

Merino, Australia

Posyblossom, thank you for your generous offer. That is a lovely iris. If you want to send seeds, bonjon and irisMA have given advice on the drying etc. I will Dmail you for further details.
I am looking forward to our blooming season after the cold winter. Iris are always such a lovely Spring show.

Athens, PA(Zone 5b)

I will do my best to see that the seeds are harvested properly. If I am successful, I will send them to you. I do so love the idea of seeds from Pennsylvania thriving in Australia☺

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.