DAILY BUTTERFLIES Page 42

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Susan, love the video. I need to learn a new skill... lol
Velnita, welcome and keep posting and learning.
I would like to plant a 'few' thistles out near the edge of our line. I think they are pretty, but very prickly.
Thea, my gulf frits are taking about 10 days also. I have about 8 that may come out tomorrow.
Am going to make a post and show the pictures I took of one as he came out. Need to do a video next time.

Elaine

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

I guess I didn't post my pics from yesterday; I went to bed early. The Zebra Longwings were back; I hadn't seen them in a few days. I want everyone to notice in this picture the "stuff" on the proboscis. Zebra LWs eat pollen! They gather it on their proboscis, chemically break it down into a liquid, and suck it up. Because of this added nutrition, Zebra LWs live as long as nine months!

Thumbnail by mellielong
Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Thea,

I agree, phlox are awesome. They bloom so long and all the butterflies here love them. I just got a white one, and I have a light lavender mixed with white. I'm getting a red one from my Mom next year. I'm running out of room though!

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

I like this picture, too. I think it's neat that they have blue eyes.

Thumbnail by mellielong
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

I went to pick some beans for dinner and found that the Long-Tailed Skipper had been visiting again.

Thumbnail by mellielong

Those zebras are so cool. Thanks for posting since I don't see them here.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

The Polydamas are still hanging out.

Thumbnail by mellielong
Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

More phlox too,, lol ,, just got some in a trade.
Mellie, that is so interesting about the longwings. Nature sure is wonderful.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

You're most welcome! Hopefully, I'll have lots more photos since my babies hatched! The zebra longwing laid these on both my p. lutea and p. caerulea. The cats are kind of orange at first, but turn white in their later instars.

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong
Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

Cool cats Melanie.

Finally, a Giant Swallowtail hung around long enough for me to get a photo!

Thumbnail by Elphaba
Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

I thought this photo was kind of fun.

Thumbnail by Elphaba

Yay giant swallowtail. NICE LEGS!

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

I want one of those!

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

ME TOO..pout, pout.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

You know, several people have mentioned it being difficult to get a Giant ST to hold still for a picture. When they're on the plumbagos I find they move around a lot, but they tend to stay there for a while so I end up getting a good picture eventually. What's interesting is that in the flight cage at MOSI they're one of the calmest butterflies. They're always posing and sunning themselves. The visitors seem to like them an awful lot, although the Pipevine STs and White Peacocks get a lot of attention as well.

Melanie

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I didn't see a one this year and no eggs or cats either. I raised several last year, but the only bf cats I have had this year so far has been BSTs.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Ok, this thread is long enough. Let's continue over here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/892954/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.