Fertilizer or food for giant pumpkin plant?

Charlevoix, MI(Zone 4b)

I have a giant pumpkin plant and I think it needs to eat! :) So far it's doing beautifully and taking over most of my yard. What would be a good, organic fertilizer? I've never grown pumpkins (successfully). It's in a bed with tomatoes. It has a pumpkin on it that is about 15 lbs right now.

Brighton, MO(Zone 6a)

I have been very pleased with Neptune's Harvest. http://www.neptunesharvest.com/ I haven't used it on pumpkins, but they have one that weighs about 1700 pounds on their website! It's done wonders for my tomatoes and peppers.

Charlevoix, MI(Zone 4b)

Sounds great, thanks!

Michelle in Michigan

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

The major pumpkin growth has been achieved by this date. It is now filling in the pulp that contributes to the weight. A bit of foliar fish-kelp will help finish the job. Overfeeding at this date leads to all kinds of difficulty. Natural unassisted growth will be very slow from now until first frost where all growth stops without providing total plant protection.

The real Atlantic Giant pumpkins have achieved weights between five hundred pounds up to nearly 1700 pounds. They are coasting a few pounds a day now to their highest expected weights. The very largest may be growing ten pounds a day at this point. The official weigh off period is the last week of Sept. through the second weekend in Oct. If you would like to attend such an event go to Big Pumpkins.com. Create a tread asking which weigh off site may be closest to your home area.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.