Crepe Myrtle Questions

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I would love to have a Crepe Myrtle Tree not a Crepe Myrtle Bush. When I travel to the South I see beautiful Trees.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

They may have a trunk or two but mostly they are single trunked.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Most of the Crepe Myrtles in my more Northern area are more like large bushes. Here is my Crepe Myrtle "Royal Burgundy" I planted it last year and would like to try and keep it more tree like. What is the difference between the Southern and Northern Crepe Myrtles? Is it a different type of tree or does it have to do with the different climates?

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

There are a couple possibilities. Some cultivars grow to large trees while others stay smaller and more shrublike. And climate is also a factor, if your area is cold enough that they mostly die back every year and then put up new sprouts from the base, even if you have a cultivar that could get large it never will. Yours looks like it's got a decent start at trying to be a tree, so as long as it's not dying back every winter and as long as it wants to be taller than it is now you can probably get a treelike look with it by pruning out any sprouts that come up at the base.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.