whats the difference between a siberian and spuria iris .

(dana)Owensboro, KY(Zone 6a)

my mom has a patch , well she gave me 1/4 of hers . any way . ive been going around thinking it was a spuria . it is about 4 ft or less and blue small flowers . the foliage looks like ornamental grass. i havnt seen a pic of spuria foliage . i need help . i was looking at siberian irises today and the foliage looks kinda the same , but the flowers look bigger . does any one have spuria pics

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Here's a good place for spuria pictures.

http://www.spuriairis.com/index.htm

If the foliage looks ornamental grass like, it is probably a siberian. Spurias mostly have wider leaves. The spuria leaves are held rigidly erect, where the siberians are a little more relaxed, especially at the tip. Both can get around 4 feet tall. The siberians are earlier bloomers than the spurias, which are about the last of the irises to bloom, even after the japanese iris. I would think in Kentucky siberians are more common than spuria.

You don't by any chance have pictures to post?

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

I have Spuria pics. BEV Pollyk is right in every way.

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

HERE WITH THE LEAVES.

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Aren't the Louisiana Iris the last to bloom? Mine are still blooming today. this Black Gamecock.

Thumbnail by mittsy
(dana)Owensboro, KY(Zone 6a)

hi mittsy . i have that one too . it hasnt bloomed for me yet this year . it was too shaded . i moved it and its doing great but no blooms .

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Love that LA, Mittsy.

Nope, the spurias are the last to bloom. Normal bloom here for the LAs is just before the JIs. Yours might be reblooming, might be new, or I don't know what, but they normally bloom much earlier.

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Well, they are pretty long lasting, I think they've been blooming for a month.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Wow, you can't beat that!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.