Seed Viability

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

Does anyone know of a good resource that provides the useful life span for various types of seeds? I had to go purchase some collard seed today because the seed I had which was about a year old didn't germinate. The turnip and mustard did but not the collard.

I also missed out on some other crops this year because I did not realize those particular seeds had a short shelf life.

Thanks
BB

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Here's one that has some things covered. I find that germination rate declines as seed ages too. http://www.hillgardens.com/seed_longevity.htm

Thanks Dahlianut:

After scanning that site, I think my issue may be my storage methods as well as the seed. The collard seed was just a year old.

BB

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I don't grow collards BronxBoy but I find the veggy seed from their list that I do grow lasts that long. ps. I don't agree with them about herb seeds. Alot of my herb seed lasts 2-3 years with good germination rates. I think harvesting timing and storing is the key. When I started seeding I had alot of seed poop out on me because I wasn't letting it dry long enough on the plant.

If your collard seeds were truly only one year old, you've a problem with:
A. The seed
B, The soil
C. Your planting methods

I suggest you buy: Suzanne Ashworth, "Seed to Seed". Seed Savers Exchange, 2002.
Good book good advice

Thanks Potagere:

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

Even though older seed germinates fairly well, I wonder if they all have as good of vitality once up. My daughter had a school science project once growing a pan of green beans with new seed and seed one year older. The new seed did come up a little better and also had greater growth at 3 inches tall. I suspect that some vegetables are more viable with older seed than others are.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.