how tall are your phlox "David" ?

Orangeville, ON(Zone 5a)

I just planted these this spring so maybe they are short because of it being first year? They are blooming beautifully but they are only just over 2 ft tall.
Is this normal?
Would help me to know how tall yours are so I can decide if I need to move them or not
Thanks
Judy

Thumbnail by sammigirl
Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

Judy - I just planted some myself, & they are 2 feet tall or less, though there were a few at a half-price sale that I bought last week that are about 2' tall - I think they are first year plants, too. I don't know whether they'll get taller next year - it would be good to fin out! Samantha

Lancaster, PA(Zone 6a)

My "David" is in its second year in its spot and is right at 3 feet. The others are just a tad shorter.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Unfortunately, I lost my David phlox this year, due mostly through my neglect. However, last summer, which was their second summer, they were a lot taller than they were the previous year. I think yours will be taller next year. I believe they get to be 3-4 feet tall.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Mine are usually between 3-4 feet. This year (miserable long cold, wet spring) they are only about 18 inches but just starting to bloom.

Northeast, IL(Zone 5b)

Mine have been in the same spot for about ten years. They always get to around 4 feet tall, but never any taller than that.

Mine have always been at least three feet, and usually taller. Wish I could send you some shebs. They really like it here.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks, echoes, My Davids weren't the only casualties. In the fall I also planted 3 other varieties, a total of 5 plants, which I bought on sale at Home Depot. None of them made it either. I love phlox, and I'm really disappointed.

I'm now living in the house where I grew up and where my grandparents also lived. I remember the old-fashioned garden phlox my grandpa used to grow when I was a kid. With all of the years of neglect, they still come back every year. I'm in my sixties now, so those phlox have to be at least 50 years old!! I'm glad I still can count on them.

I have some of those too, from my parents garden where they bought in the seventies. An older couple had the house for many years. I think it is the species or very close.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Mine are 3-4'. As long as yours look good I wouldn't worry.

Upstate, NY(Zone 5a)

mine are 3 - 4' but are starting to look terrible with all this rain. leaves are turning brown and dying!! Lots of blooms though.

Orangeville, ON(Zone 5a)

thanks everyone
guess i'll wait to see how tall it grows next year
and move it then if necessary.
right now it looks out of place - too short for where it is
Judy

Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

Hi I'd like to add my David are at least 4' but I think they are more like 4 1/2' I didn't actually measure them but I am 5' and they are almost as tall as I am. If you planted them this spring from a nursery they could have been pinched back for bushiness. I bought mine last year and they were much much shorter than they are now, probably only 2'. : )

I planted mine last year and they were about 3 feet. This year they're only about 2 feet but they look very healthy. I'm guessing it's due to the weather. As long as they're healthy, I'm happy. They smell so good.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.