Before and after photos of our new place

Russell, KY(Zone 6b)

I finally managed to get some before and after photos up on a webpage. We've been in this home just over a year and have been working on the landscape for a bit. Unfortunately the yard was in total shambles as this photo illustrates-

Please ooh and ahhh!

Photos here-
http://www.cearbhaill.com/yard_after.htm

Thumbnail by Cearbhaill
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Wow! You've really done a lot of work and it looks lovely!

I also checked out your Irish Wolfhound site. They are beautiful dogs! My kids loved the "kill Daddy" photos. :)

Columbus, OH

I love Wolfhounds, they're truly gentle giants! And your other pictures are truly an inspiration! I'm a mostly-indoor plant person, and I've had to learn about outdoor plants, your garden pics are just lovely...

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Cearbhaill.....I am oohhing and ahhhing! You have done a marvelous job on your new home! I love seeing when people take an interest in their homes and gardens, and make them their own. You will love all the hydrangeas! I have lots of hydrangeas, and with all the rain this year, the blooms have been just fantastic! I am in the process of cutting some now for dried arrangements.
I know nothing about Irish wolfhounds, but they look wonderful!

Russell, KY(Zone 6b)

Thanks guys- it's a five year plan. All we have in so far are trees and shrubs. Next year I am putting in some ornamental grasses and perennials, and groundcover if I can afford it. A couple of huge tree removal projects ate right through my budget- I wish I had had the bucks to buy extra large plants but that just didn't happen. As it stands I just hope I live long enough to see it really take shape :)

Once all the plants get a year or two's growth (and Owen gets past puppyhood) we can take all the little fences down and really see what it's going to look like- I can't wait for that day.

We love it- this is my first yard in this climate (I've been in South Florida for 30 years) and I am loving the new plant palette. Hydrangeas are addictive!

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

What fantastic progress you've made! Love it all already, and can just imagine in a couple of years when everything fills in. You'll be glad you've started with smaller plants, they establish so much better and usually end up growing faster. A few years ago I bought some magnolias, 2 in 1-gallon pots (about 1-1 1/2'tall), and 1 in a 5-gallon pot(6'tall). Now the little ones have caught up with the 5gallon plant.

Very pretty Celtic cross in the memorial area.
Neal

Columbus, OH

I love the idea of a memorial garden, it's so lovely.

Russell, KY(Zone 6b)

Thanks everyone- as you all surely know it is a labor of love.
Mostly :)

I love the before and after pics. You've really done a lot in a short amount of time. And that plant list is very impressive! How many acres are you blessed with?

Russell, KY(Zone 6b)

We have just under two acres, but only about half is true "yard". The rest is (and will remain) woods. A walking path, perhaps, but it will stay a wildlife sanctuary.

That's wonderful that you're leaving the wooded area natural. I'm sure the birds and critters will be happy.
It really looks great.

Bucyrus, OH(Zone 6a)

WOW!!! :) That is extraordinary. It looks like an episode of "Curb Appeal" from HGTV. :)

And your pet cemetary is wonderful. I love my fur family.

-Joe

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh, my gosh...your lawn is GORGEOUS! What did you do, kill it all and start from scratch? Did you scrape down to the topsoil and sod or seed? How did you do that?

You've done a fantastic job there...And only a year? Wow.

I love how you added your different dogs' tags on the stone in their memorial area.

Russell, KY(Zone 6b)

As far as the lawn, we just mowed the weeds very short and slitseeded.
Then watered forever.

Frankly, the lawn doesn't look quite that good now- nobody told me fescue went dormant in the summer and lacked the ability to repair itself. We were used to St. Augustine grass that sent out runners and filled in holes in days- these cool season grasses are a learning experience! We're getting ready to overseed again and throwing some bluegrass into the mix this time.
Live and learn!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh, yes, fescue looks like crap in the dry months. This we know firsthand! :P Right now our lawn is a crispy, tan expanse -- as much of an expanse as a 40x140' lot entails, that is.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.