How to spot a future hybridizer....

Loysville, PA(Zone 6a)

LOL, can ya tell I'm bored and very sad that the iris blooms are done in my garden. I had taken this picture of my grandson (Joshua) and every time I look at it I think he looks like I would imagine that Keith Keppel or Barry Blyth would have looked at age 3.

Thumbnail by Willit_Grow
St Joseph, IL(Zone 5b)

Good looking little fella there. Nice pic also. Hey, you never know. You could have the next Paul Black or Joe Ghio there!! I miss the blooms too. Sure wish they would last longer. Here's Joe Ghio's Expose for you!
Laura

Thumbnail by sempervi
Lakes of the Four Se, IN(Zone 5a)

Two very beautiful photos. Willit -- that looks like a wonderful slope -- perfect for growing iris!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Very handsome young man. Looks like he might be a Schreiner to me. Get them interested in gardening real early. It's a wonderful activity for a child. And he sure looks like he's having fun.

South Hamilton, MA

Hooker Nichols has said that at age 5 he went around relative's gardens collecting bee pods. You never know when the urge will strike.

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Willit-
That picture definitely is worth a thougsand words.

It is absolutely precious, and looks like one of those photos that will be one of those that stands out, as one of your family's all-time classic photos. :0)

Loysville, PA(Zone 6a)

Thanks to everyone for your kind comments about Josh.
Seed_picker, yes, it is definitely a favorite photo.
Pollyk, He has already helped me. He has his own shovel, rake, and wheelboro to help me with.
IrisMA, well I will be tickled pink if Josh becomes a hybridizer. Right now all he wants to do is smell them all.
Sempervi, thanks for the pic of Expose. It's beautiful. Ghio is one of the hybridizers who have ones I am attracted to along with Blyth & Keppel. I'm hoping to get Rare Find soon.
Figaro52, I think too that the sloped yard has the benefit of drainage but, LOL, no benefit to cutting the grass.

I can't wait for the new iris catalogs to start showing up. Happy gardening to everyone.
Deb

Lakes of the Four Se, IN(Zone 5a)

Deb, you just need to get rid of all the grass and replace it with iris! LOL!

Loysville, PA(Zone 6a)

LOL, Figaro52, you must have been talking to Mit. He's been telling me to get rid of the grass for 2 years now to allow more room for irises.

Raleigh, NC

well, I personally want grandchildren - and great grandchildren, so I'm hoping he's a Schreiner!

Raleigh, NC

well, I personally want grandchildren - and great grandchildren, so I'm hoping he's a Schreiner!

And just think, getting up close enough to sniff them all, someday he'll be a great iris judge for the AIS!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.