I need a fast growing vine to provide shade

Paris, TN

I need a good fast growing vine to provide shade to my favorite chair. No I don't want to move my chair. In the evenings my chair catches the sun as it is going down and blinds me so I put up a trellis and planted clematis it only grew to about 4 feet I need something at least 7 or 8 feet. I have read the forum on the invasive trumpet vine (which I had planned on using) but now I am out of ideas as I am a new gardner any ideas suggestions?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

You might give the Clematis some time--most perennial vines won't grow at the speed of light in one season (except maybe the extremely aggressive ones that you probably don't want anyway). So you really either have to be patient, or plant a really aggressive one and fight with it forever to keep it from taking over the world. Or you could plant annual vines, they can often grow fast but won't take over since they die each year, but they'll be small at the beginning of the year so it probably won't be until mid-summer that you'll have a lot of shade each year.

Fountain, FL(Zone 8b)

My lavender moon vine covers the trellis by mid-summer (about 10') and if several seeds are planted along the bottom of the trellis/arbor, it will be solid with huge leaves and big blooms in the evening, which stay open all night.

*I should have said..the leaves in the pic are not all moon vine...I have three vines on that trellis. Honysuckle, Moon and an unknown.

This message was edited Aug 15, 2008 8:32 PM

Thumbnail by libellule
Paris, TN

Thats beautiful do moon flowers grow from seed? Are they periennials?

Fountain, FL(Zone 8b)

According to Plant Files, it is an annual. I allow most of the seeds to dry and drop so that I don't have to reseed every year. I've not had to plant them but one time. If I get too many seedlings, I scoop them out and share 'em or transplant somewhere else in the yard.
I don't have any seeds right now but I can start watching the pods and collect some for you if you'd like some of 'em.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/69456/

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

libellule-
You actually have the "nicer" moonflower. I think it is much more sought after than the turbinata.

You have ipomoea macrorhiza.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/53206/

It forms a tuber, and if it doesn't get too wet during winter, should come back from the roots for you...

Mine does...

Thumbnail by seedpicker_TX
Fountain, FL(Zone 8b)

Oh my gosh..
You know it does have a tuber and I told someone that it did and came back from that but I was told it couldn't happen. lol My blooms are larger than he said they should be too.
Thanks for pointing this out. :-)
Jackie

Katy, TX(Zone 8b)

The vine I know as Coral Vine is a fast grower and although deciduous you can leave the brown vine and it will come back all along that vine in the spring. Another good vine is the Yellow Jasmine (Carolina Jasmine) an early bloomer, evergreen. It only blooms in the spring but is spectacular when it does. Then there is Confederate Jasmine (Star Jasmine) which acts as the Caroline Jasmine does but tends to be more tender but is not as heavy as the Carolina. Some of the clematises such as Sweet Autumn and the spring blooming one that I can't come up w/the name are fast and thick growing.

Ann

Paris, TN

libellule I would love some seeds if you have them! And thanks all these are great ideas.

Fountain, FL(Zone 8b)

Alrighty then...Dmail me your address and I'll send them as soon as I collect them.
Jackie

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Fastest vine in my experience for coverage is luffa .. the ones where the fruits are made into sponges. I'm scared to death to fertilize them!

X

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.