What is this Plant?

drumheller, Canada

The label on it says"ivy or trailer".Any help would be appreciated.

Thumbnail by Uekiya
Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Looks like some variety of Plectranthus.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Might be Plectranthus coleoides--it's one of a few Plectranthus species that are sometimes called Swedish ivy. There's no picture of the all-green one in Plant Files, but here's a pic of the variegated version, the non-variegated one would look the same except for the leaf margins. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/57963/

drumheller, Canada

Oh Thankyou Jasper Dale and Ecrane for the helpful ID.
Since I am in zone 3, I don't think it'll survive our Winter.Do you think it would survive indoors?

Midway, TX(Zone 8b)

You could try it indoors and see. It may go to a dormant state but if it stays alive it should come back out in the spring.
Lin

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I'm not sure if there are any Plectranthus species that would be hardy in your zone, if it's the one I suspected then there's definitely no way it would survive so you really have nothing to lose by trying to keep it in the house over the winter since it'll die anyway outside.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

There are definitely no plectranthus that would be winter-hardy in Alberta... they're sold as "annuals" for hanging-baskets and planters.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I'm trying a semi-hardy plectranthus in my yard this year (plectranthus kameba).
It looks really healthy this summer, but we'll see how it handles winter.
I haven't found data on hardiness, but reports I've seen indicate it may succeed here.
But certainly not in Canada!
Here's a pic.

Thumbnail by Weerobin
drumheller, Canada

Thankyou all for the info.I'll try it anyway indoors.Hmmm...My plant has fuzzy felt-like leaves? The above picture is similar but the leaves don't look fuzzy.

(Lynn) Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

The one ecrane3 mentioned has fuzzy leaves.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Weerobin's plant is a different species, sometimes characteristics like that will be different between species. But as lbrabec mentioned, the plant that I thought yours might be does have fuzzy leaves.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/56260/
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/57963/

If the adult leaves are a lot larger than thumb then your Plectranthus is the 1st one.

If the adult leaves are near the same size as you thumb they its the 2nd one.

These are the two that are mostly widely cultivated. As stated before all are tropical plants.

drumheller, Canada

Thankyou all for all the help.( it's nice to be abe able to get ID help at a touch of a keyboard)... and picture s too!Woooee!
It's got to be the Plectranthus Coleoides, as the adult leaves are bigger than my thumb.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

If the leaves are large it is Plectranthus amboinicus 'Variegatus'.

My brother-in-law uses the leaves in cooking (take them out before serving). I just buy fresh oregano, it is sweeter.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.