Growing Potatoes

Greenacres, WA

Can I use straw around them as they grow so they will make more potatoes? Thanks

(Laura) Olympia, WA(Zone 8a)

You might check out this thread http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/825325/ it starts out as growing potatoes in garbage cans, but they talk about potatoes in straw bales towards the end.

Greenacres, WA

Here is my Potato garden. I wanted to see if I can add straw to mulch around them.
I read in one of the post, how many use even garbage cans. I thought by doing this I could have more potatoes.

Thumbnail by MarciaS
Danville, IN

I love to raise potatoes "in straw". What I do is make a very shallow trench and just buy the potatoes when they sprout. When the sprouts are about 10" tall, I "bury" them in loose straw, leaving the tops of the shoots exposed, but covering the rest of the shoot close enough to keep out the sunlight. When the blossoms start to fade, it's my signal to reach into and under the straw to hunt around for new potatoes which are pretty much lying on the ground (under the straw), or barely in the soil. When the vines wither, I use a pitchfork to carefully rake back the straw to expose the potatoes, mostly lying right there on the surface. I also fork up the ground as some potatoes always grow under the surface, but still close to the top. IF you've already buried your seed potatoes as usual, the straw will help keep weeds and potato bugs at bay, but you'll probably have most of your potato crop under ground.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.