topiary shrub recommendation

Presque Isle, MI(Zone 5a)

I am looking for a tree or shrub that would be a good topiary for zone 4-5.

Thanks

Garyt

Danville, IN

Any of the many types of upright junipers work well, but the nicest would be 'Green Mountain' boxwood, which should be hardy in your zone. Almost any type of tree that grows in your area can be made into topiary if you were planning on espaliered against a wall, including fruit trees. Check out the many, many ideas for topiary online. Have fun.

Danville, IN

Forgot to mention good ol' yew, any taxus species will do. Been used for topiaries for centuries.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
any taxus species will do

In zone 5, only the very hardiest yews will do! Look for Taxus canadensis and T. cuspidata.

Resin

Danville, IN

Resin: Here in America, the wonderful variety of English yew 'Taxus baccata') are reserved for only the warmer regions, and I'm sure Garyt wouldn't even be able to find them for sale in Minnesota (which is why I didn't even bother to differentiate the species) , but we have dozens of excellent Taxus X media ("Anglojap" Yew) cultivars to choose from which are hardy from Zones 4 to 7. Every cultivar is different, and there are tall, short, spreading, groundcover, and more types that are very hardy. This is a hybrid species first raised by T.D. Hatfield of the Hunnewell Pinetum, Wellesley, Massachusetts about 1900. They are extensively used in this country, but unfortunately often massacred in the landscape by hedge shears. The most common cultivars are 'Brownii' (9' X 12"), 'Densiformis' (4' X 6'), 'Everlow' (2' X 4'), 'Hicksii' (20'+ X 6'), and 'Wardii' (6' X 19'). Of course, Canadian Yew and Japanese Yew are hardy, but the first is hard to find. Of the second, Taxus cuspidata, the most common forms for sale are 'Capitata' (pyramidal to 50', but commonly kept much smaller) and 'Densi' (4' X 8'). Worth seeking is 'Emerald Spreader' (30 inches X 10' spread). Yews are tremendously overused in the Midwest, but are gradually being phased-down in nurseries in favor of excellent boxwood hybrids such as 'Green Velvet' and 'Green Mountain' (again, the super English boxwoods don't survive under Zone 5, if that).

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Taxus cuspidata 'Dwarf Bright Gold' (4' x 6') is hardy to zone 4 and is a good candidate for topiary. It's a good contrast plant showing nice gold coloration. I saw one of these done with a backdrop row of Juniperus virginia 'Skyrocket'. It 's quite striking, with the gold Taxus in front of the blue Skyrocket.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.