Shooting Star hydrangea in Virginia Beach

Virginia Beach, VA(Zone 7a)

How big do they get? Any suggestions of a companion plant?

I was thinking of moving my peony (getting too much in the sun i think) from the back to the front w/ the hydrangea. But not sure.

My Shooting Star is planted front of the house (east side), lots of morning sun, afternoon shade. It did flower, but some of the leaves got crispy. I am thinking of getting another one, but not sure.
The Blushing Brides are perfect and they are only planted 20 feet away (they Are a year older and there's no more room on that side).

Thanks.
Maria

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

While this plant is advertised as good on Zone 5, I have always considered Zone 5 as 'hostile territory' for most macrophyllas (remontant varieties are the exception but barely). But, your Zone 7a though should be just fine. S/S is somewhat compact -hydrangea speaking- so it could get 5'x5' or more. It will probably need morning sun only and moist soil. Once it goes dormant in the Fall, you can water it once every two weeks if your winter is dry and your ground does not freeze. The crispy leaves could be a soil moisture issue, especially if the leaf edges brown first (very common during the summer months). Too much sun causes the leaves to turn yellowish (including the leaf veins) or even white (as if bleached by the sun). Azaleas and camellias are good companion plants; so are ferns and low-growing spirea.

Virginia Beach, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks Luis_PR. Very helpful. And much appreciated.

Maria

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.