How and when to plant seed

Myrtle, MO

Does anyoneknow how to start black rasberry or elderberry from seed?I got these seed in but don't know when and how to plant them.If anyone knows how please tell me how to and when to plant Malva-trumpet lilies-foxglove-liatris-hellebore-golden raintree and nicotiana seeds.Thanks! I am new at seed planting and saving and want to learn.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

For starters... You should add this page http://www.anet-chi.com/~manytimes/page52.htm to your favorite list. It has all the germination info you'll need and some great info about seed starting.

Poppysue is right. I have printed everything on this website. Also, downloaded his seed database. Wow, this guy is unbelievable. vic

Spring Hill, FL(Zone 9a)

great link poppysue!

Saint Helen, MI(Zone 5a)

Don't waste your time growing the elderberries from seeds. You will be MUCH happier propagating them by hardwood cuttings this winter or softwood cutting in the summer. I started elderberries this winter from seed and from hardwood cuttings. The plants from seed are about 1 foot tall. The hardwood cuttings are about 3 feet and green wood about 2 feet tall. BTW they are not only taller they are also bushed out more. Black raspberries are also easier to do from cuttings or layering.

Can I recommend a really good general purpose plant propagation book. It's "Plant Propagation" by the American Horticultural Society ISBN 0-7894-4116-0. It is a great all around book covering everything from trees and shrubs to annuals. It discusses seed harvesting thru to seed planting. It also discusses the different kinds of cuttings and grafting.

This message was edited Thursday, Sep 6th 9:02 PM

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

hellebore seeds do best is sown as soon as they drop from the plant. they hate to be left dried out.

other hardy perennials can be sown now in pots or modules. they will get away faster than seeds sown when spring comes round as they are waiting for the right conditions which will be earlier than we way decide.

scatter your foxglove seeds now where you want them to grow. they should germinate before winter comes.

Mark

sterling, PA(Zone 5b)

great link poppysue, your OK

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

Poppysue is the greatest!!! Look at her
contributions to the Data Base!

"eyes"

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.