Mango Blues

Springfied , IL(Zone 5b)

My Mango tree produced no fruit this year. The tree is about 12 years old and we've lived on the property 5 years. In spite of hurricanes (3), I've had many mangoes every year except this year. It didn't even flower, hence no fruit :(

Has this happened to anyone else? Any ideas?

Sarasota, FL

Aren't they insect pollinated? They flower in cold weather here, so are at best hit and miss. Some re-bloom if the spikes freeze. You might spread some organic sources of phosphorus and potash under the canopy around the holidays. (no nitrogen at that time!)
You can also spray copper sulfate on the foliage. Some mangoes develop scab; other types are resistant. You'd have to consult a book for that info.
Makes me wonder what's in the spray we used to use for tomato blossom set!

Lots of mangoes here last year, and very few this year, all over the island. Hmm.

Springfied , IL(Zone 5b)

Well, maybe it's the extra rain we had this past winter. I noticed we didn't have such a dry spell as in years past. Maybe the tree sat in too much water--it's near the swampy part of my yard.

http://www.bijlmakers.com/fruits/mango.htm

(Pollination by flies, hoverflies, bees. High humidity and rain will result in poor pollination. Mango trees are monoecious and self-fertile.)

The bees are on my bushes as usual, but I never noticed the insects around that tree, since it's in the back of my property. I froze one from last year, guess that will have to do. So sad :(

Thanks.

This message was edited Aug 14, 2008 10:45 AM

Springfied , IL(Zone 5b)

Hurray! My mangos are back. I don't know why...

Thumbnail by gopita

Hooray!

I believe they might be bi-yearly. or something. Fikkle, anyway. I hope the BIRDS leave me a few...

Funny little quarter inch flies or bees or something buzzing the flowers early mornings. Trees blooming sporadically, nearly full sized fruits all the way to new flowers on the same tree, not only mine.

Weather's totally weird, too.

Owell!

Mm

Springfied , IL(Zone 5b)

Yes Mm--I will have to patrol my mangos as well. Everyone wants them: bugs, squirrels...

I've watched this tree for six years now, and it has had fruit every year except last year. Maybe you're right: fickle.

Connie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.