Arborvitae Emerald

Kannapolis, NC

Here's a photo of our new driveway area planted with 11 Emerald Arborvitae and 7 Chamaecyparis cripsii. This was a spring project.

Thumbnail by Hemophobic
Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

That's lovely, Hemophobic: looks great!

Kannapolis, NC

Thank you, Spartacus. It was a labor of love in every sense of the words. My DH and I wrestled those big trees with the use of the nursery's tree mover dolly off our trailer and into the ground in the middle of a spring shower! We were soaked, but we had to get the dolly back to the nursery by 1 on Sunday, which we did. It was no mean feat, though, let me tell you. Those trees better live and thrive, because I am definitely not doing that again. It was probably a funny sight to someone watching. Once we started the trees down off the trailer, they were so heavy they took off on their own and we had to place a large landscape timber on the driveway (which is sloped) to keep them from rolling all the way down. One of those things I can laugh about now but was not so funny when we did it.

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

Ah yes, one of those projects that sorely tests the stability of a relationship: been there, and it takes a while till you can laugh about it. I'm sure the trees appreciated the timely shower during planting, but it hardly helped from the human viewpoint. Take good care of those big babies, because I can really understand not wanting to repeat that chore!
Ruth

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

It looks very nice. I recently attended Field Days at Ball Seed Company outside Chicago. I am attaching a picture of a row of Arborvitae that runs along their driveway. The hedge was much longer than the camera could capture. It was quite stunning. It will give you some idea of what your project will look like in a few years. They had some annuals planted in front also. I think they were begonias. The red flowers really complimented the evergreens.

Thumbnail by pastime
Kannapolis, NC

Pastime, thank you so much. We are anxious for the trees to grow and screen out the view of our neighbor's carport, which overflows with junk and garbage. That's why we planted the four large ones and settled for the smaller ones up closer to the road! ;-)

Our yard is in transition right now as so many beds have gone to weed since I've been working in Asheville and staying up there much of the time. We plan to start renovating the beds this fall and hope to have them back in shape by next spring. At least that's the plan. LOL. We'll see.

Danville, IN

I love my 'Crippsii' false cypress, and I'm sure you'll enjoy yours too. They can get big though, up to 50', but can be kept shorter with careful trimming. They have such a rich winter color, which I'm sure will be even better in your location compared to the Midwest.

Kannapolis, NC

Thanks, Hoosier, I don't want them to get that big, so we'll definitely have to stand by with the pruners!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.