what are these on my squash and cucumber leaves?

Apple Valley, CA(Zone 10a)

I have something investing my squash and cucumber leaves. They are small dots all over the bottoms of the leaves, spread fast and do wash off but it is difficult and they come back.... Any answers and help for me?

Thumbnail by cruzpuppies
mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

the picture is blurry but it doesn't look like rust. i'd say possibly flea beetles.

I know, about the blurry thing...Sorry, I was just in the garden last evening and took a shot with my blackberry...I will try my *real* camera tomorrow. What would I do about flea beetles?

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

you have to dust with something that won't harm YOU when you eat them. i think sevin is ok to use before so many (can't remember) days of harvest. you might try neem spray but again, check labels and neem might burn the foliage. i think for vegi's, dust is preferred.

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

Hey trackin. I don't think flea beetles will stick around to have their picture taken. :-)

I'm thinking aphids. Are these soft-bodied? Do they move very much? Are the leaves sticky, especially the leaves below them?

Soapy water will dessicate those soft little bodies.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i was stuck on the little black bodies.........lol

Hi, I am back. I CANNOT put anything toxic on them. I am waiting for a liver transplant as mine isn't well and certainly can't handle any extra toxins...

I don't think they are aphids... There are LOTS of them... they spread to other leaves and plants. They are stuck on the leaves but there is no sticky, shiny stuff like aphids leave. My neighbor has them also on his cantelopes. I have lots of ants around...

I am going to try the soapy water thing.... they do make the leaves curl when they are young leaves .... I need a good bug/disease book.

Well, a new picture wouldn't hurt either. :-D

Maybe they are squash bugs. After all, they are on squash. Here are some photos:
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.vegedge.umn.edu/mnvegnew/IMG/Lsbleaf.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.vegedge.umn.edu/mnvegnew/vol4/823sqbg.htm&h=480&w=640&sz=243&tbnid=KoTU0iI8nUsJ::&tbnh=103&tbnw=137&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsquash%2Bbugs&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=1&ct=image&cd=1

And a site from California (click on the blue words to see photos)
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn74144.html

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

the only thing i can think of that "sticks" to plant tissue is scale, other than the droppings and/or "honeydew" of certain insects. does any of this stuff fly, jump, hop, etc.?

And scale secrete sticky stuff too. We're playing a guessing game with not enough information... Don't ya think? A good photo would help!

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

absolutely! lol

I am sooooooooooo sorry to not post a picture sooner. I do really appreciate you all trying to identify my *bug*.

I think I have a good one for you now.... My friend thinks aphids, but I am not sure.

Thumbnail by cruzpuppies

Oh, those are aphids alright!

Ok, thanks...Now what to do about them. Could you tell me (newbie) the best way or place to search for solutions? I need to learn how to use this wonderful resource better.

Thanks much!

Soapy water, sprayed directly on them, will cause their very soft bodies to dessicate. But aphids reproduce faster than rabbits, so you will need to keep a lookout for any you may have missed, because she'll be busily building the population back up, as will her offspring, and before you know it, you have a kazillion of them again. Don't worry about those white things, they are just the skins the aphids shed as they get bigger.

Edited to add: That leaf is so loaded, I would just toss it into a garbage bag from which they can't escape!

This message was edited Aug 14, 2008 1:08 AM

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

what ceejay said!

I don't like squash all that much! LOL I am thinking about digging them up and getting some lady bugs and planting something in that spot for fall soon.. LOL My neighbor has his entire cantelope area just covered!!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.