Looking for help - creating a Scottish themed garden

Philadelphia, PA(Zone 6b)

for a friend.

I know of two iris - Nessie a SDB and Scottish Reel a TB that smells like root beer.

Any others - or other perennials even - that anyone can think of? Her garden isn't large at all - maybe 9 by 6. Has two trees (older sycamore and a young birch) providing a good deal of shade until the afternoon sun comes in and burns until sunset. Trees are in the neighbor's yard and are at North on the compass. Her house covers the east. The garden is open to the south and west. Zone 6b.

It's to cheer her up. She recently had a baby and things have been challenging since. She didn't even get to work at all this year in the small garden she started last year. So, we're going to do it on the sly when she's at work one day in the next few weeks.

(She's of Scottish ancestry, hence the theme.)

Thanks!

Dauphin, PA

Scottish Warrior and Highland Games, off the top of my head.

katie

Thanks, Katie.

You don't carry either, though, do you?

(Laura) Olympia, WA(Zone 8a)

Scotch Thistle is a must, can't have a Scottish garden with out the Scottish national flower. Here is the PF on it http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/819/ Scotch heather would be another must http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1646/.

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Galway

Dauphin, PA

I've got all three mentioned so far but they're sold out for this year, unfortunately. Try Dee at Snowpeak, who posts here often, or Greg at Wild Iris Rows - they have a pretty big selection and he's very nice to work with. Good luck!

Oh - Kilt Lilt. Which I don't have at all. And Monty Byers released one in the 80's called Loch Ness, I don't think I've ever seen that one.

katie

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

I just received "Twirl the Kilt" from Snowpeak....here is photo:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/74071/

Thank you everyone!

No thistle, though. Her relatives visit each year and they always say the same thing whenever they see thistle...I cannot repeat it in polite company. But heather is a good one!!

MrsJ - twirl the kilt is beautiful!

Now I'm off to scare up a pic of Galway if I can.

I'll try looking at Snowpeak and Wild Iris Rows - worst case, I have my order already started for next year for Stoneycreek! Oh darn! : ))

Thank you all again!!

Detroit, MI

Momma - I don't know if you had ordered or already found a supplier but Napa Iris has Scottish Reel for $9. I ordered two and I was sent two that both had two big rhizomes, so it was really more like four. The last date to order from them is August 15 btw.

Oh thank you for letting me know!!!

Franklin Springs, NY(Zone 4b)

What about scotch moss? It could be tucked in anywhere.
Also you could try to find a copy of Garden Plants for Scotland for her; I'm pretty sure that's the title - it's by Kenneth Cox. Being zone 6, a lot of their native plants would be compatible and many are common to us, (like shade-loving ajuga). It might help rekindle her interest.

I'll start searching for that book now - thanks!!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Also, don't forget Kilt Lilt!

I've got it printed out and in the potential pile!

Baton Rouge, LA

Not an iris, but quite nice for a Scottish-themed garden: Petite Pink Scotch... it's a very hardy, very low-growing rose. I've got it in my yard and it's one of the few roses that requires no care. Quite compact with smaller pink flowers. Low maintenance and sweet smelling. It's a historical rose brought over the Scots to the Carolinas. They've got it at Antique Rose Emporium...

http://www.antiqueroseemporium.com/rose-1011.html

Thank you!!! She wanted to try roses. This one seems like a good one to start with - hopefully it will be back in stock eventually. But I'll look elsewhere, too.

Baton Rouge, LA

Petite Pink Scotch is in stock at Antique Rose Emporium... the box is around "in stock" on the listing when I click on the link I posted above. Why did you think it was out of stock?

'Cause I was looking too late at night and swore I saw it was out of stock.

Staying up too late and watching too much Olympics!!

Raleigh, NC

hasn't anyone mentioned Scottish Rebel?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.