cheesecloth as rowcover/ insect barrier for cucumber beetle?

Wallingford, PA

do you think it would work to use cheesecloth as a row cover to protect against cucumber beetles?

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

For what crops?

Waynesboro, MS(Zone 8a)

You would have to pollinate by hand.

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

I'm also interested in what fabrics work for row covers - for keeping cool crops cool as well as for insect control. Anyone have any advise?

If I can make a trip to the fabric store rather than hunting down specially made row covers, I'd be happy to do that.

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

I've used tulle for insect control, but it does nothing for cooling.

Wallingford, PA

I wanted to cover my squash plants next year, just until the flowers start. I'm not worried about keeping them warm ,but in keeping the beetles from getting them before they are established. Ive read in previous threads that this works ,just not sure about the cheese cloth idea.

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

Just FYI, I covered my squash with tulle this spring, and I found that the SVB moths had made their way inside to the squash - but they couldn't find the way out.

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

I can't see tulle having a tight enough weave to really keep the bugs out.

A light cheesecloth should be ok. Can you get it by the yard, though? I don't know much about buying cheesecloth. But it seems like just about any light fabric would work.

Gardener's Supply seems to have some nicely priced row covers: http://www.gardeners.com/Summerweight%20Garden%20Fabric/YardPests_Insects,11749,default,cp.html

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

Tulle can keep out all but the smallest bugs. I don't think a cucumber beetle could get through it.

Windsor, CT(Zone 6a)

Commercial row covers perform specific tasks- they shield the plant from insects, but they are also designed to be waterproof to stay fluffy, and to permit light to pass through so you don't smother or stunt the plant growth.

With that in mind, tulle sounds pretty good- (and festive!) it's plastic and tough, and fairly lightweight, but you don't know how much light it lets through, and the holes may permit some bugs to still get to your plants. And in big pieces it may not be particularly cost effective.

I'm sorry but cheesecloth just sounds like a bad idea. It would get soggy and would block light. Over a short time it would get moldy and start to break down. And probably be really expensive!

With careful use, some commercial row covers will last more than one season. This may be one of those cases where homemade can't match the store bought.

http://www.gardensalive.com/product.asp?pn=2005&bhcd2=1218457804

This one had good info: http://www.farm-garden.com/feature/row_cover_technology

Wallingford, PA

oh those are some really good points. Thanks! I think I'll buy the real thing.

nedweenie said:

Quoting:
With careful use, some commercial row covers will last more than one season.

I'm just about as careful as a bull in a china shop, and I'm using my row cover (bought on sale) for the 3rd year! A great investment, even if it does no more than keep the blackbirds from eating the fava bean seedlings!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.