Whats wrong?

Leander, TX(Zone 8a)

I went to work in my garden and noticed something terribly wrong with my Canna's. The leaves are like skeletons. The leaves are rolled and when I unrolled them there was a worm or something to that affect in it. What is eating them? They ate the center right out so they won't bloom. I'm originally from Michigan and never had this problem here sure could use some help
Thank you

Thumbnail by kountrykitten
Starkville, MS

Welcome to the South. Canna rollers can make your canna crop very ugly. There are insecticides that can be used------but must be applied early in the year and put into the soil. Of course, they kill all insects in the soil. The only way that I deal with them is to cut the canna off, and it will be back in a few weeks, hopefully minus the nasty little critters.

Shirleyd
Zone 7b

Leander, TX(Zone 8a)

Thank you so much for the welcome and the advice. Could you name an insecticide that I can use. Thank you

Starkville, MS

I am sorry-----but, I haven't used one in so long I can't help. Your local cooperative or garden store could suggest one.

Shirleyd

Water Valley, MS(Zone 7a)

I've had the same problem in previous years. This year I used 75 % Asphate powder (follow label directions) and all my cannas are fine. Look for it at your local farm supply or co-op.

WARNING: WEAR EYE PROTECTION WITH THIS PRODUCT AND FOLLOW ALL SAFETY PRECAUTIONS.
Asphate powder is the active ingredient in many fire ant poisons, such as those sold at Wal mart, Lowes, Home Depot and others.

Also I might mention, the 75 % asphate powder is the cheapest and most effective fire ant poison I have found. The recipe is as follows:

1 - 5 pound bag plain (not self-rising) white cornmeal
3 - Tbs 75% asphate powder
3 - Cups sugar (I use cane sugar)
2 - regular packages cherry jello

To mix the above, I use a Milan Classic 10.6 quart plastic container (available at Wal-Mart) which has a tight fitting lid, but any container about the same size and with a tight fitting lid will work. I labeled it properly and store the poison , Tbs measure, funnel, 2 cup measure and other asociated items in it when not in use.
Put all the ingredients in the container and shake well to throughly mix.

To apply I use a plastic coffee creamer jar with the label removed and Fire Ant Poision
written on it in red ink. Sprinkle about a 1/4 cup per large mound, less for smaller mounds. I have both dogs and cats, and they don't mess with it, but use your own judgement.

Hope this helps.

Claud

Leander, TX(Zone 8a)

Just read your post claud thanks so much for that great advice.

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

If you use the liquid Bayer Rose Systemic or Tree and Shrub Systemic ..
either should take care of this, also.

OR move to a colder climate like me where we don't have them :-)
You get to deal with Japanese Beetles though )-:

The Bayer systemics can be found at Walmart (thought they are downsizing garden in lieu of Happoween and Christmas right now). Or at Lowes.

Crestview, FL

Claud: How do you apply that to the cannas? And how much?
joy112854

Water Valley, MS(Zone 7a)

Joy, I just sprinkle the fireant mix from the creamer jar on the cannas. Just a little bit does the trick.

Crestview, FL

Just got a call a few days ago from Jenny at Jenny's garden, she is sending me a Stuttgart and a Peach Gigantium. I will grow them indoors for now. I picked up some Miracle Grow Potting Mix and will plant them in huge planters.
joy112854

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.