Which hydrangea to choose?

Stewart, TN

The house is built (way out in the woods) and now I'm struggling with landscaping. I would like to put in an hydrangea hedge and think it is a reasonable site for one: soil a little on the clay side, but on a slope for drainage, and trees nearby for dappled sun and shade. Mixed zone 6-7 (Middle Tennessee.)

My question is, Which of the many gorgeous kinds to choose? Would the oakleaf do better, as it's closer to native? My absolute personal favorite to look at are the blue lace-caps, but are they harder to grow? Maybe I should compromise on a white lace-cap if they are easier to grow. (The mopheads in general are not my favorites.)

I want to choose whatever grows most vigorously and flowers longest. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh gosh, you could plant nearly anything in that situation. Start with height requirements. The Oak Leafs are going to be very large, while the macrophyllas will not be quite as large. For a macrophylla I would recommend a blue lace cap ( if the soil pH is right for the blue color ) called 'Blue Wave'. It gets about 6'. Do you know your soil pH?

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/49285/

Stewart, TN

Thank you for the suggestion. I looked at the "Blue Wave" and they're absolutely gorgeous. I'm having the soil tested and don't have the results back yet - but they might work great.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Whatever you choose, you have the makings of a gorgeous hedge/border. Be sure to share pics of it here.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.